How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. A.S. Desai Your Own Question
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2436
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. A.S. Desai is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a foreign body sensation in my right eye after washing

Customer Question

have a foreign body sensation in my right eye after washing it in water.
please advise
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you available for chat now?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'll switch over to question and answer format as you don't seem to be available for chat . You can view the answer there and ask follow up questions too.

Dr. A.S. Desai and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

You pressed the accept button a bit too fast before you could actually view my answer. But I'll try my best to give you a satisfactory answer.

As you mentioned a foreign body sensation in the eye "after" washing the eye with water, the likely cause is an eye lash in the eye.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
The commonest site for lodgment of an eyelash is either the lower fornix( lower lid groove) or in the sub-tarsal sulcus( beneath the upper lid)
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
What you need to do is to have a close look at your eye in the mirror preferrably with some magnification ( if you have one) and just look for an eyelash in the lower lid groove and if not there hten evert your upperlid and look for one lodged there. You will easily be able to remove it with a sterile cotton or even with the help of a fresh earbud. In case you are unable to do so , try flushing your eye with more water which may dislodge any stuck foreign body. If there is associated pain/watering or redness then I'm afraid it could be a corneal foreign body which can only be removed by an ophthalmologist.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.


Your responses came one after the other soon after you pressed the accept, while I was still typing the answers. Please do give us some time to do so before you end up thinking that the expert has not sent across any answer inspite of you having paid . Please bear with the inconvenience for this question. But I hope the answer has been satisfactory or else you are free to follow up till your satisfaction.

Best wishes and regards