Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have what to look like a boil or zit on my eye brow which

Customer Question
has caused my eye lid...
i have what to look like a boil or zit on my eye brow which has caused my eye lid and cheek to swell
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
11/25/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

How long has this "zit" been present and is it tender to the touch?

JACUSTOMER-4tmq1dz3- :

my eye is swollen and so is my cheak.It all has to do with the infected zit

JACUSTOMER-4tmq1dz3- :

yes it is tender and the area around also hurts

Dr. Rick :

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

JACUSTOMER-4tmq1dz3- :

you dont think this is staff

Dr. Rick :

Chalazions can be caused by a local staph bacterial infection, however, because is it is, sorta, like an abcess, antibiotics don't get in the area well enough to treat the problem. The warm compresses and lid scrubs allow your own body to get at it and start it to drain. If this doesn't work you can have minor surgery (I&D) at the ophthalmologists office to open the chalazion, get the "gunk" out and start it healing.

JACUSTOMER-4tmq1dz3- :

ok thank you

Dr. Rick :

I tell my patients to try the self treatment first -- even though an I&D pays really, really well :o).

Dr. Rick :

My ethics get in the way of my profits on a daily basis.....

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure. Have a great Turkey Day. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

?

JACUSTOMER-4tmq1dz3- :

ok thank you for your advice

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
k
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD