Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am experienceing a circular flashing around my left eye.

I am experienceing a circular 'flashing' around my left eye. Even when my eyes are closed, when I move my eyes left or right I 'see' the circular flashing.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you tonight

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Rick :

Is this in one eye only?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Dr. Rick :

does this make sense to you?

Dr. Rick :

Are you still there?

Customer:

Yes, I will see and ophthamologist.

Dr. Rick :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

And, now, the obligatory word from our sponsors: :o)

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

let me know if there is anything else I can help you with. Have a good evening.

Customer:

This is the first time I have used this service. I am glad to pay the amount I have depositied. I don't feel as anxious as i did before talking to you. I f my doctor agrees with your opinion...I will surley use the system againg.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad I could help you sleep better tonight. I've been doing ophthalmology for over two decades now and my special interest is retinal diseases.....after talking to your local ophthalmologist I hope you will be back. Take care and sleep tight.