Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Went to dentist 3 weeks ago, with injection of anesthetic,

Customer Question
suddenly developed double vision which lasted...
went to dentist 3 weeks ago, with injection of anesthetic, suddenly developed double
vision which lasted approx 30 minutes, vision cleared. After 1.5 weeks, double vision
has returned when I am tired at night.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today

Customer:

question regarding dental anesthetic =double vision resolved in 30 minutes. 1.5 weeks later has returned doouble

Customer:

vision when tired, especially at night.

Dr. Rick :

was it in your upper jaw? Usually the DDS uses lidocaine 2%, which lasts about 2 hours, but yet your diplopia resolved in 30 min. Has this ever happened before? Any medical problems, what medicine do you take? Does the double vision "go away" if you close one eye?

Dr. Rick :

and now, if I'm understanding correctly, the double vision is constant?

Dr. Rick :

sorry for all the questions. Are you still there?

Customer:

Double vision or just blurred vision occasionally, on-off, more pronounced at night, early morning when tired. The anesthetic lasted for approx 4 hours, vision OK within 30 minutes. Double vision clears with one eye closed. Have

Customer:

Dx of RA, currently on Prednisone 15 mg daily.

Customer:

Other Rx are for thyroid, general over counter vitamins.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Well, it is possible that your double vision is related to a vascular problem.

Customer:

or something neuro, like MS? So you think this is unrelated to the anesthetic?

Dr. Rick :

This would explain how it started when you were in your dds office, where you are positioned in the chair differently then you would normally be.

Dr. Rick :

MS is another good thought. Usually doesn't present at age 60 for the first time as diplopia only. I don't think it related to the anesthetic. Even if given in the upper jaw area, it's a long way away from the nerve pathways/muscles to your eyes.

Customer:

one year ago, had similar symptoms that began after a whip lash car accident. Resolved itself in about 3 months.

Dr. Rick :

Now. A whip lash injury makes me think of an undiagnosed/expanding tear of the carotid artery wall. Nerves important to the eye/pupil travel in this area......

Dr. Rick :

A horner's syndrome can be caused by this. Horners includes small pupil, droopy eyelid and loss of ability to sweat on that side of the face, along with other things. Diplopia is possible, but very rare.

Customer:

If carotid tear, would it clear up and return a year later? No symptoms of horners.......Back to the opthomologist? sorry about spelling.

Dr. Rick :

It sounds like you would be well advised to visit an ophthalmologist, explain what is going on, the history of your accident, and have a complete eye exam. It would be a "bonus" if your double vision would cooperate and act up while you were in her office.....

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Rick :

no. A carotid tear would not go away, but it can be very small from the time of injury and then, like a weak hose, suddenly expands.....not a good thing.

Dr. Rick :

I am glad I could help you today. Sorry I didn't have any perfect answers :o) but at least I hope I gave you some good ideas of where to go.

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD