Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Have double vision in one eye, doctors say it's due to

achalasia, but can't find info...
Have double vision in one eye, doctors say it's due to achalasia, but can't find info connecting the two conditions online. Can you direct me to a good source of info?
11/7/2010
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor (non-eye specialty)
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

Do you have double vision in both eyes?

Any weakness of the eyes?

Did both these symptoms start simultaneously?

I am still available online to answer your queries after I get the above info.
Double vision is only in left eye. No weakness of the eyes. Have had the problem for about a month. Treatment helps somewhat for awhile but double vision is back. How is it related to achalasia? What I've read online doesn't explain that, and neither have my doctors.
It is not possible to explain if the two conditions are inter related. But I would like to tell you that double vision or diplopia is generally associated with weakness of the eye muscles. (also known as convergence or divergence disorders). Since achalasia is due to inability of the smooth muscles of the esophageal sphincter to relax, it should be possible that you could be having some autoimmune problem causing both the conditions simultaneously.

This could be a possible explanation for your symptoms. You should put forward this to your specialists and get some tests for autoimmunity like antinuclear antibody or other antibodies tested.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

I will be happy to elaborate if asked to do so.

I do not agree with Dr. R. Bora in the least. Monocular diplopia is in no way related to the striated muscles (not smooth muscles) that move the eye.

I am an ophthalmologist with almost 2 decades of experience in treating only diseases of the eye and retina. If you are happy with the answer you have got so far, I am sorry to have bothered you. If you would like I can elaborate for you.
Please elaborate. If Dr. R. Bora's answer is incorrect, what do you think is the correct answer?
Tell me more about this monocular diplopia. It occurs with your other eye closed, of course. Is it all the time or only in certain light conditions or come and go with blinking? Have you have any eye surgery or trauma? Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist and were the antibiotics that helped for a bit by mouth or a drop?

Sorry about all the questions :o)
Not related to light conditions or blinking. No eye surgery or trauma. Treatment received from an ophthalmologist. Medication was by mouth for 60 days. Now remembering that it was a corticosteroid rather than antibiotic, as the area around the eye had severe swelling and inflammation--really gross in appearance. Medication worked at the time, but double vision in left eye is returning. Could I have misunderstood the term "achalasia?" Wife thinks it was "chelatia" but haven't found anything about that online, either.
Achalasia is a disorder of the esophagus....you can read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achalasia

Is this what you have?

Now, to be exactly clear about your diplopia. It occurs with only the one eye open, right? If so, is it a ghost image, can you read with that eye only open, tell me more about the double vision you are having.

Did your ophthalmologist say you had, perhaps, orbital pseudotumor?

Well get to the bottom of this.....don't worry!
I'd read about Achalasia and couldn't grasp any connection there, which is what led me to JustAnswer. Couldn't find anything in online searches that had a phonetic connection to what I was told--i.e., "colacia," "colasia," "chelasia," etc. Think that whatever it is has its origin in swelling and inflammation of the area around the eye rather than within the eye itself. Can't read with only that eye open. Am getting a cream or ointment to rub into the eyelid and skin around that eye. Don't know exactly what it is (belong to Kaiser, don't have prescription in hand.) Think that will help?
Ohhhh.....not I got it. I believe you have a chalazion. This is a lump on the eyelid that can cause a lot of swelling. It can also press on your cornea causing increased astigmatism and monocular diplopia in some cases. Here is a link to an article about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalazion

Does this look like what your doctor was talking about?
Here is what I recommend for chalazion:

The most common cause for an isolated bump on the eyelid is a chalazion or a stye. These bumps form when a gland in your eyelid gets plugged up and possibly infected. It is very often associated with a condition called blepharitis.

The treatment for this condition, however, is not antibiotics but rather cleaning the eyelids with baby shampoo. Buy some unscented baby shampoo and, in the shower, but th shampoo on your index fingers. Close your eyes, and raise your eyelids (to get skin out of the way) and scrub back and forth along your EYELASH margin. This is where the gland openings are located. The warm water will soften the gunk in the plugged glands, the friction and pressure of your fingers will massage the glands, forcing the gunk out and the shampoo will wash it away. You can also use warm compress to the affected lids during the day as your schedule allows.

This treatment will help to treat the bump on your eyelid while at the same time solving your underlying blepharitis. The lump may take many weeks to go away but you should notice some improvement in a few days or so.

And now, a word from our sponsors:

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Let me know if this is what you seem to have. If not, we'll keep working on until we figure it out......
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Many, many thanks for explaining this! I feel as though I now understand what's happening well enough to get this under control, and am relieved to know that it's not more serious! You have been an immense help to me!
My pleasure.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD