Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have been suffering from viral conjunctivitis for 2weeks.

it is finally getting better...
I have been suffering from viral conjunctivitis for 2weeks. it is finally getting better but have noticed that the vision in my left eye is really blurry. Should I be alarmed by this?
My eye was extremely swollen and red and it was thought that I also had peri-orbital cellulitis...however, it was later noted that i had a reaction to the drops i was given and have saw an improvement since I stopped using them but the vision in my left eye seems to be deteriorating.
What should I do?
Marie
11/7/2010
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you now.

Dr. Rick :

When did the vision in your eye get blurry? Does it come and go? Any pain/discomfort?

Customer:

thanks. it became blurry yesterday. slight pain and extremly sensitive to light and severe headaches

Dr. Rick :

In a small number of patients, after the resolution of a viral conjunctivitis, there is a secondary inflammation of the cornea (keratitis). This is not from the virus but rather from a cross reaction of your own immune system to the proteins of the virus. The immune system "gets confused"and starts to attack your eye.

Customer:

what should i do? I am panicking a little now.

Dr. Rick :

It leads to a rough corneal surface, hence, the decreased vision. The inflammation can sometimes even involve the inside of your eye as well as the outside corneal surface, leading to light sensitivity

Dr. Rick :

No need to panic :)

Dr. Rick :

It is almost unheard of to have a vision loss once this is cleared up......

Customer:

can i treat it in any way? how long does the blurred vision last?

Dr. Rick :

It is treated, for mild cases, with natural tears 6-8x/day and cold compresses. In about 90% of cases it goes away on it's own with no residual effects

Dr. Rick :

The blurry vision will last until the cornea surface gets smooth again. Can be a few weeks....

Dr. Rick :

One thing, however, in your case that causes me some concern......you said your eye is extremely light sensitive......

Dr. Rick :

If that is indeed the case, you should have an exam by an ophthalmologist to see if you need treatment with topical steroids to reduce the inflammation.

Dr. Rick :

Do you have to find an eye doctor today, seeing as it is Sunday and the Green Bay Packers will be playing American Football today and, I'm sure you don't want to miss that.....lol ;)

Customer:

lol. am I able to buy the 'natural tears' from a pharmacy?.

Dr. Rick :

If it is easy to get in to an ophthalmologist today for you, I would try that. If not, you should be ok with the tear drop treatment and cold compresses. If the light sensitivity gets worse or it hurts then you should see the doctor.

Dr. Rick :

yes. They are available at the chemists....isn't that what you folks call a pharmacy?

Customer:

yea it is lol...

Dr. Rick :

I'm glad I was able to help you today.....now a word from our sponsors:

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

let me know if there is anything else I can do for you....it has been a pleasure.

Customer:

thanx Dr Rick....i feel abit better now.x

Dr. Rick :

That's my job :o)

Customer:

take care

Dr. Rick :

now it is safe for to push the pretty green button.....

Customer:

will do.x

Dr. Rick :

be

Dr. Rick :

bye

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD