Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My girlfried was picking up a fallen plant and while doing

Customer Question
so got poked in the...
My girlfried was picking up a fallen plant and while doing so got poked in the eye by one of the pointed ends. It is a palmetto type plant ( not the type with the sharp needles) but a type with softer ends. Her eye is bleeding in the inside corner. She rinsed it with a saline soloution but there is still blood in the eye. What to do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/6/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you this morning.

Dr. Rick :

How is her vision? Does it hurt a lot?

Dr. Rick :

Do you have access to a digital camera that can put the picture on your computer? If so I can show you how to send it to me. A close up picture will help a lot.

Customer:

Vision is fine, just a bit of pressure at site. does not hurt

Customer:

okay will take a moment just need a site to send it to

Dr. Rick :

Ok, sounds like she missed the cornea and has not stuck the stick all the way into her eye.

Dr. Rick :

Here is the instructions for uploading a picture:

Dr. Rick :

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts"

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Dr. Rick :

I'll standby

Dr. Rick :

and go get a cup of coffee :o)

Dr. Rick :

hi.

Customer: Customer
Customer:

do you have an email

Dr. Rick :

Are you having problems with the picture upload? The justanswer site block all external emails......

Dr. Rick :

I've had very good luck with pictures using the above directions in the past.

Dr. Rick :

I can see you are typing. I'm here.

Customer:

the picture is uploaded

Dr. Rick :

that didn't work. When you are at the tinypic site the first box says "browse" click on that button. It will then search your computer. Find your picture so it's location is listed inside that box.

Customer:

everytime i paste the url is send you upload more pics?

Customer:

i did that

Customer:

and it did upload the pic

Customer:

i cannot send it to you

Dr. Rick :

no. The picture didn't upload. Let's make sure that all the steps have been done together. I'll send you a picture as a trial and we can do it together. Save your eye picture on your desktop and give it a name such as "stickineye" or something.

Dr. Rick :

now, open the tinypic.com webpage.

Dr. Rick :

sorry if I am being too simple for you, but I want to make sure that we are doing everything to get your picture uploaded.

Dr. Rick :

still with me?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

http://tinypic.com/34sngnm.jpg

Customer:

see if you can open that

Dr. Rick :

OK. Use the browse button under the "upload images & videos" heading, next to the box labeled "file". Once you find the picture you will see something like " c:\users\pictures\stickintheeye

Dr. Rick :

Next, on the same page, push the large "upload now!" button

Dr. Rick :

enter the security code letters

Customer:

i just sent you the link to the picture

Customer:

http://tinypic.com/34sngnm.jpg

Dr. Rick :

http://i51.tinypic.com/2rdu6q1.jpg

Customer:

what is that for?

Customer:

i did all that was required to send the picture

Customer:

were u able to open the link i sent you

Dr. Rick :

could you open mine?

Dr. Rick :

yours is acting up.....

Customer:

yes and saw the stadium

Dr. Rick :

On the final page, after you type in the silly letters, you use the bottom box on the "share this image" page. This box is labeled "Direct link for layouts" I don't think the other boxes work with the just answer system. Let's try again, if you don't mind. If we have to I can work without the pictures....pictures just make it a little easier to be sure.

Dr. Rick :

I'm in no hurry :o)

Customer:

ok

Dr. Rick :

My picture is where the Green Bay Packers play....

Dr. Rick :

and a geocaching "Travel Bug" that went for a visit

Customer:

http://tinypic.com/r/34sngnm/7

Dr. Rick :

got it....ouch!

Customer:

i am the victim

Customer:

i have lens implanted

Customer:

eye not hurting...bloody

Customer:

but i feel a bit of pressure in the corner where i took the point of th eplant

Customer:

i can see fine

Customer:

feels like something in the eye (corner) but plant to sturdy to break off

Dr. Rick :

Ok. Like I thought. She missed the cornea. Is is a posterior chamber lens or is it an iris fixated anterior chamber lens? It sounds like the second one from your statement

Dr. Rick :

Ya, you'll have a foreign body sensation with that one. Is your friend there with you, do you have access to qtips and saline?

Customer:

i went in for cataracts and they implanted the lens into the tiny sac

Dr. Rick :

Ok. A PCIOL then. Those are very stable and I don't think you hurt it.

Customer:

yes i have q tips and saline

Dr. Rick :

ok. This might hurt a little, but it will help me to get a better idea of whats going on.

Customer:

i rinsed my eye with saline already and put an eye drop in it called Xibrom

Customer:

so what should i do

Customer:

swab the eye with the qtip and saline solution

Dr. Rick :

Soak the qtip with saline. then look to your left and let your friend hold open your eyelids with one hand and take the qtip and rub by the cut. Your eye has three layers of tissue in this area. The conjunctive, the underlying tenons capsule and then the white, tough sclera -- the actual wall of your eye.

Dr. Rick :

using the qtip, gently rub and see if you can tell what is cut. I bet at least the conjunctiva is,and tenons might be but the sclera should be intact. gonna hurt, sorry. No numbing drops available that work though our chat system :(

Dr. Rick :

I'll help

Dr. Rick :

I mean I'll wait.

Customer:

it stung a bit

Customer:

do u suggest I go to an emergency walk in?

Dr. Rick :

what does it look like as far as the layers cut?

Customer:

or just rest the eye and wear sunglasses

Customer:

looks topical

Customer:

i am not in any pain

Customer:

and believe me ...i cut my eye once and was miserable

Dr. Rick :

does it look like a flap of 'skin' (the conjunctiva) is cut? How much can you move it with the qtip?

Customer:

jcannot move anything

Dr. Rick :

OK. That is excellent! There is a very high chance that the blunt stick did no damage other then break a blood vessel and cause that ugly bruise.

Customer:

so should i just rest the eye and stay out of the sun

Customer:

live in florida

Dr. Rick :

I can say this for two reasons: You have minimal to no pain. JC couldn't find a cut with the qtip, and your (kinda blurry) picture

Customer:

also...i was going to go and ride my horses today...is that out of thf the questions

Dr. Rick :

Staying out of the sun is not important

Dr. Rick :

I've been raised by horses since I was 10......the outside of a horse is the best thing for making the inside of a yucky day better. Go for a ride.

Customer:

ok thank you.

Customer:

they are a calming factor

Customer:

thank you and have a nice day

Dr. Rick :

I believe you are ok. Of course, if you are concerned you would need an examination by an ophthalmologist to be 110% sure. I can give you a 95% chance, based on what we have done here today that you are OK.

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Have a good ride. Now a word from our sponsors: :o)

Customer:

again thank you

Dr. Rick :

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick :

and I wish I was going riding today......

Customer:

lol

Don't forget to press the pretty green button. It's getting cold up here in Northern Wisconsin and my poor, starving, children need new shoes before the snow gets too deep
:o)

Give your horse a big hug for me. My best friend died after 27 years of running through fields and woods together. That horse kept me sane.......
I hope you enjoyed your ride this afternoon. If I was able to help you today with your question, please do me the favor of pushing the green accept button.
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD