Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have a history with uveitis, mainly retinal vasculitis and

I have a long history with uveitis, mainly retinal vasculitis and optic nerve swelling. I have in the past had iritis with cells and flare. I also have gluacoma, cataract. All idopathic but autoimmune.
Last week my daughter noticed a white line in my iris. It runs from the outside in towards the pupil... I have no more pain than I usually have and from what i can tell my vision is no worse.
What would cause a line like that to appear (I saw my eye doctor in late september so it was not there then) Is this something that I need to be seen for right away? I have no health insurance and try not to go until it is necessary.
I do have pictures of it but can not seem to download them into this text box....
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

I can look at your picture. As long as it is on your computer, follow these instructions:

Dr. Rick :

Upload your picture to the site tinypic.com by browsing for it as directed.

Once you do that it gives you a bunch of links you can use, one of which says "direct link for layouts"

Copy the link inside this box and then paste it into your justanswer dialog box and send it to your expert.

Customer:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2v0zg55.jpg I think this is it...Thanks for the info...When you look at the picture you will see my left eye and at the one o'clock position you will see the line.

Customer:

The two top ones were taken two days ago the two bottom were taken today. I can not tell if it is getting worse or not but so you can see for comparison

Dr. Rick :

ok. Let me take a look. be right back

Dr. Rick :

Those are really good pictures.....

Customer:

thanks

Dr. Rick :

Have you ever had any any intraocular surgery or had a needle placed through the edge of your cornea into the front part of your eye?

Customer:

I have had a victriotomy (sp) and a posterior shot of steroids....I do not think it went through my cornea

Customer:

if i remeber it went under and behind my eye

Dr. Rick :

Ok. That explains it. I believe that this is a scar and/or an area of your iris that has had a loss of the blood supply to it, causing the loss of pigment. It looks just like the scars left after surgery/placing an instrument into the anterior chamber. In your case, the surgery and steroid injection would have not involved this area but still could have caused issued with blood to the iris leaving this segmental scar/depigmented spot.

Dr. Rick :

What is the take home message? Save your money and just follow up as usual with your ophthalmologist. This is nothing to worry about at this time.

Customer:

Ok that makes sense to me thank you so much!!!!

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure. Now a word from our sponsors :o)

Dr. Rick :

It was a pleasure to help. Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. Have a great day.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.

Customer:

lol

Dr. Rick :

Very good job on the close up pictures, by the way.

Customer:

Thank you I can not take credit it was all the camera.... we had to get a good one cause i am so bad at taking pictures....