Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

At a recent eye exam the dr said i have graying of the

Customer Question

at a recent eye exam the dr said i have graying of the colored part of the eye and sugested i have my physician do blood work...wich just came back with no issues. what would cause the graying?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I don't know if you just asked this question under another customer name in the past several minutes, but if so, I just finished addressing your question under that encounter. In the event that you did not, here is my explanation. Please let me know what questions you may have.

Doctor DanB :

This graying that the eye doctor is referring to is likely what is called arcus senilis. This is when cholesterol and lipids deposit in the cornea in what becomes a circumferential pattern around the outside of the cornea, effectively making it appear as though it were covering the iris (colored part of the eye). In patients younger than 60, or those who do not carry a diagnosis of high cholesterol (hyperlipidemia) or in those patients in whom this only happens in one eye, it is common for the eye doctor to recommend that the primary care doctor order these blood tests to determine to what extent you may have high cholesterol. If your PCP did a workup for this and it showed no significantly increased cholesterol, then this is the most important thing. You can still have this accumulation of cholesterol without overt high cholesterol findings on the blood tests, but usually it is picked up by the blood tests to some degree, even if it is only a little bit.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer:

I as charged 22.00 an 20.90 for this question. please credit my acount back the 22.00 charge.

Doctor DanB :

The JustAnswer website only holds the deposit on the question. The funds are not ultimately released to me as the expert, nor are you permanently charged those monies unless you ACCEPT the answer I've given. You can choose to close one of the questions and you should receive the deposit you placed for that question back.

Did you have any other questions?