Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have been diagnose with swelling of my several years ago.

Customer Question

I have been diagnose with swelling of my several years ago. I have seen my opthamologist and referred me to a retina specialiat in Atlanta Ga. My vision has been getting worse. I will see lmy regular doctor. I am Worried. Thanks to God I have 20/20 in my lext eye.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today.

Dr. Rick :

You did not say what has been diagnosed as swelling but I assume it must be your retina/macula. What medical problems do you have and what medicines do you take?

Customer:

Is is not macula degeneration as per the retina dr. So far I wasn.t giving anything accept a very expensive medicine. Icannot remember the name.

Dr. Rick :

was it an injection into your eye? Leucentis, perhaps? Also, what medical conditions do you have.

Customer:

no injections. I have glauma in that eye my rt. I have gout. medication for chronic anxiety.

Dr. Rick :

Ok. What can I tell you about retina swelling and it's treatment?

Dr. Rick :

Retinal diseases is a special interest of mine.....

Customer:

I cannot see clearly out of my r/t eye . It is difficult to read very long . Images are getting more distorted.

Dr. Rick :

This could be caused by a number of things but the most common in your age group is called macular degeneration. You said that the retina doctor already told you that you don't have macular degeneration, is that true?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Rick :

Ok. This is also the eye with the glaucoma......it could be that you have macular pucker. do you know anything more about what the retina doctor said it is or what she is planning on doing? There are many possibilities and to figure them all out I believe I'd need a little more information.....

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** not think I got any more info than I alredy had.

Dr. Rick :

Ok., well if it is macular pucker -- which is consistent with your symptoms -- treatment consists of surgery to remove the membrane that is causing your macula to pucker. Surgery is usually not performed unless the vision drops below the 20/40 level. If you have had glaucoma surgery in your right eye surgery on the retina could cause the glaucoma surgery to stop working.

Dr. Rick :

If you get any more information, please drop me