Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What is it called when the eyes go outward? Does that

What is it called when the eyes go outward? Does that involve surgery or therapy? Is the correction called cosmetic or surgery?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I can help you today

Dr. Rick :

are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Is your grand daughter being given therapy by an optometrist or an ophthalmologist? Is her vision (each eye tested alone) affected?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer:

Where she is going, they tell the Mother that the treatment is cosmetic. They have applied to Medicare for her well being, but have been refused because medicare considers it a cosmetic procedure.

Customer:

Her eyes cannot focus well.

Customer:

What can you suggest?

Customer:

PLease send an e-mail?

Dr. Rick :

There are various types of what is called exotropia: intermittent, constant, large angle etc. In children some of the types can lead to vision loss by a process called amblyopia. I feel strongly that your daughter should have a complete eye examination by a fellowship trained pediatric ophthalmologist.

Dr. Rick :

Also, I do not agree that treatment in children for this condition is cosmetic since it can cause life long vision loss. If your grand daughter does have ambylopia it is important that she begin treatment soon as she is at the far end of the age group where treatment is helpful. To answer your other question, if her exotropia is causing amblyopia (and this can only be determined by a complete eye exam by a well trained ophthalmologist) then the treatment would most likely be surgical.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Once her ambylopia, if she has it, is improved the surgery would move the muscle attachments on her eye so that they were straight.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Don't forget to press the 'accept' button if you are satisfied with the help I've given you. This allows me to get credit for my time. Positive Feedback and/or Bonus are always appreciated.