Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I accidently used a cleaning disinfecting lens care system

Customer Question
with 3% hydrogen peroxide without...
I accidently used a cleaning disinfecting lens care system with 3% hydrogen peroxide without waiting at least six hours. Thus, my eyes were burning and stinging. After two days of the incident, I am now using the soothe xp (Bausch & lomb) and systane ultra. My vision is the same as before. Though my eyes are not stinging as badly before,my eyes do feel a bit different before this incident. Are there long term effects for my eyes after I applied the solution? Will my eyes heal in a week (feeling normal)?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/10/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Hello and thanks for your question.
If it was closer to the six hours than early on in the time period, it's likely the concentration of peroxide was lie enough as to not cause significant damage. If the vision is normal for you, this speaks to a good chance the eye should recover without significant consequences. As to when you will feel completely back to normal, that time period is quite variable from person to person. However, I would think you should be essentially symptom free within a couple of weeks of the event. I would recommend staying out of your contacts until until then though. I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.
My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.
I do not have glasses at the moment. I plan not to wear my contact lenses for the right eye (cause it affected my right eye) for the next five days. But after 5 days, I would have to wear contacts again. Actually, I used the solution very early on rather than later. Though it hurt at first, my vision is okay and the same as before. Right now, I am applying bausch & lomb soothe xp, systane ultra, and vigamox for the next several days. So will my eyes be okay, meaning hopefully there would be no long term effects?
Most people who have a chemical exposure as you have and who retain their baseline vision have their eyes retain their normal state of health. However, uncommonly some persons can have symptoms of dryness, sting, irritation, and light sensitivity indefinitely after a similar exposure. Unfortunately only time will tell for you, but I would recommend at least getting a cheap backup pair of glasses for instances such as these because going back in the contact lenses before the eye has had a chance to heal completely can exacerbate the problems. Only an eye doctor who has examined your eye can give the most definitive answer about when that is.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.