Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was working near a grinder and a spark got in my eye. I

I was working near a grinder and a spark got in my eye. I washed it out immediately. I cannot see anything in my eye. Do I need to go to the E.R.?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question today.

Dr. Rick :

Does it feel like something is in your eye? Also, how close to the grinder were you and did you have safety glasses on?

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Are you available for chat?

Dr. Rick :

I see you are offline.

Dr. Rick :

oops...your back.

Customer:

Thank you. I did not have safety glasses on (Stupid, I know) -- was about 3 feet away from the grinder. It does not feel like I have something in my eye - but it aches.

Customer:

I have a slow internet connection. Satellite - rural area. Sorry

Dr. Rick :

It is still possible for you to have a small foreign body in your eye even if you can't see it in the mirror. The fact that you were 3 feet away is a good thing. In order for the ER to do any good for you they would have to have a slit lamp and someone who knows how to use it...not always the case.

Dr. Rick :

Don't worry about the slow internet connection. I live in a town of 8K and know what you are going through, although we now have high speed cable.....

Customer:

:-) It actually hurts the most below my eye ((where I have bags under my eyes). I'm wondering if maybe the spark hit there.

Dr. Rick :

It is always better to remove a metal foreign body sooner then later because it will rust from the salt in your tears and stain your corneal stroma, although the rust will go away with time. So whats the take home message? If it doesn't feel like something is in your eye and you don't think the ER has a slit lamp and someone who knows how to use it to remove a foreign body, I'd just hold off. And if the spark did hit below your eye, the ache you are experiencing might just be from the rinsing process you went through.

Dr. Rick :

I think you will be OK to wait. When you start dreaming (REM) tonight if there it a FB in your eye it might wake you up....and then you will know what to do. Does this make sense?

Customer:

I think I'll wait a few hours and see if it still hurts. The Trauma ER is 45 minutes away - and

Customer:

I think I'll wait a few hours. The Trauma ER is 45 minutes away.

Dr. Rick :

ok. That sounds like a good plan.

Customer:

Thank you so much.

Dr. Rick :

If you would be so kind as to mash the 'accept' button so my kids can get new shoes this winter I would appreciate it. I'll be happy to answer any more questions you have, even later if you are thinking of going to the ER, at no additional charge. Have a good day.