Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Can you tell me what white wooley spots on the eye means.

Can you tell me what white wooley spots on the eye means. I am still not clear what this means.
I was at the ophthalmologists yesterday and he said this is what I have after taking a picture of my eye. I have a blur area on my lower right side (not all the time).
I have an appointment for blood work with my family doctor. Thank you for your help.
Nancy
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Did the ophthalmologist mention something like white cotton wool spots?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have a history of diabetes?

JACUSTOMER-dsp8pn0l- :

Yes he did. My grandmother had diabetes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Cotton wool spots are pre-capillary ischemic areas(reduced blood) seen in the middle layer of the retina and the commonest cause for this is diabetes-type2.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

These spots are generally asymptomatic and do not give rise to any symptoms. They are detected on routine eye examination. Usually a blood work up to rule out diabetes is to be done. Once it is established, the extent of diabetic retinopathy is detected. When these cotton wool spots are multiple ( > 8) then laser treatment is advised.

JACUSTOMER-dsp8pn0l- :

I am going to have blood work done and I will have that checked. Is there any other causes I should be concerned about?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since you have an occasional blurring of vision, I would think that either the cotton wool spots or diabetic retinopathy are the cause for it( they would be associated with a constant blurring of vision invariably due to involvement of the macula region in the retina). As of now you need to look out for diabetes, it being the commonest cause of cotton wool spots( other causes are very rare).

JACUSTOMER-dsp8pn0l- :

Thank you very much! I appreciate the help. I will have the blood work done.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Other conditions include malignant hypertension, lupus erythematosis, anemia.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist