Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My vision has become blurry in the past 3 weeks now i am

my vision has become blurry in the past 3 weeks now i am seeing halo around lights. i have had breast cancer 6 years ago
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand and accept those terms?

Customer:

i am concerned about my blurry vision and now are seeing halo around car lights

Dr. James :

Do you understand and accept the statement above?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

When was your last eye exam?
Is the blurriness in one or both eyes?
Do you see the halo around lights all the time or sometimes?

Customer:

last eye exam about 4-6 months ago just needed reader 125 with no other problems. blurrrinessin both just tonight started seeing halo

Dr. James :

Do you still see the halos?

Dr. James :

When you close your eyes, do you still see these lights?

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

ok this would have nothing to do with breast cancer met to brain

Dr. James :

Unlikely.

Customer:

thanks it has happen so suddenly

Dr. James :

It is recommended you see your PCP for a thorough neurologic exam as well. Flashes of light from your eyes usually originate in the eyes.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you today.