Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My husband is having trouble keeping his eyes open during

My husband is having trouble keeping his eyes open during the day. He says he's not sleepy, his eyes just want to close and sometimes he has to hold his eyes open with his hands to get home. What could be causing this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Do you understand and accept those terms?

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

hello

Dr. James :

Do you understand and accept the terms above?

Customer:

What is your reply

Dr. James :

Before we begin, I would like you to note that JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Customer:

yes I accept the terms above

Customer:

yes

Dr. James :

Thank you.

Dr. James :

Is the problem in one or both eyes?
How old is your husband?
Does he have any pain or irritation in his eyes?
When did this begin?

Customer:

Both eyes. It began in one eye about 4 months ago and has gotten worse. Now it's both eyes

Customer:

no pain or irritation

Customer:

he is 65

Dr. James :

The most common cause for heavy irritated eyes is due to dry eyes. This can cause a sensation of sleepiness or wanting to close the eyes. Sometimes vision can be affected as well.

Dr. James :

I recommend using over the counter artificial tears 4-6 times a day. I also recommend starting on warm compresses of your eyelids. This will help soften the plugged oil glands of your eyelids. After the warm compresses, you can use dilute baby shampoo in warm water, scrub the bases of your eyelashes with the pads of your fingers twice a day.

At night, you can use an eye ointment to prevent it from drying out, also available over the counter. If the problem persists despite this treatment or worsening, I recommend you visit with an optometrist or ophthalmologist for evaluation.

Customer:

Does it get so bad that you can't keep your eyes open?

Dr. James :

The most common symptom is irritated eyes or foreign body sensation but patients can often have difficult keeping eyes open as well.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

Dr. James :

Helo??

Dr. James :

Hello?