Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Dr, I have question... My wife removed the catarats in the

Dr, I have question... My wife removed the catarats in the right eye only. Check ups revealed sje has problems with retina. Can this be operated succesfully? Tks U much
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question

Dr. Rick :

Are you available to chat?

Dr. Rick :

Retina is a subspeciality interest of mine. In order to know what can be done to treat it I'd like a little more information. What did the cataract surgeon say was the problem?

Dr. Rick :

Did she call the problem macular edema?

Dr. Rick :

My screen says you are in the chat room. Is that correct?

Customer:

dR RICK I PERSONNALY CANNOT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION ABOUT THIS.

Dr. Rick :

Well then, we can talk about general retina problems after cataract surgery. The most common is swelling of the center of the retina, called the macula.

Customer:

CAN THIS BE CORRECTED WITH MEDICATION?

Dr. Rick :

Most times this will resolve with the use of topical NSAID drops such as acular 0.4% (ketoprofen) 4x/day in conjuction with usual Pred Forte 1% 4x/day prescribed after surgery. It can take up to 6 weeks or more to improve

Dr. Rick :

should her vision not improve, a special dye test called a fluorescein angiogram, can be done to show the extent of the leakage and the area can be treated by laser in the office.

Dr. Rick :

Of course she could have other retina problems, esp. if she had diabetes or other chronic medical problems. If you could learn more about her specific condition I could give you more precise information on what could be done.

Dr. Rick :

In any event the vast majority of retina problems that occur after uncomplicated cataract surgery can be treated, either with drops, injections into the eye, laser or surgery.

Dr. Rick :

I hope this information is helpful. Do you think you can learn more about your wife's specific findings?

Customer:

cAN YOU SENT ME A MESSAGE/EMAIL PLSE

Customer:

mY EMAIL IS *****@******.***. TKS

Dr. Rick :

this system does not allow personal email messages however you can log back onto the site, request me (Dr. Rick in the eye question section) and we can work on this issue some more. If you press 'accept' for this session you will not have to pay again to talk with me on this topic.

Dr. Rick :

I just got a bunch of x's -- the system blocks email address and phone numbers. Sorry about that. However, just press 'accept' for this conversation, gather more specific information about your wife's retina issues, and we can deal with it together again at no additional charge. Will that work for you?