Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am 80 yrs old, I have Glaucoma in both eyes. I only have a

I am 80 yrs old, I have Glaucoma in both eyes. I only have a little vision in one eye at the moment. This eye had a cataract which was removed about 10 years ago at John Hopkins eye clinic. I was wondering if there is anything more I can do to slow down my vision loss.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Since glaucoma occurs due to the effect of raised intraocular pressure on the optic nerve, the best option to curtail its effect is to keep the intraocular pressure under control.

Customer:

Hi doctor

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though there are eye medicines which do reduce the intraocular pressure and also have protective effect on the optic nerve, the result is not very drastic since there is very little useful vision left.

Customer:

right now i use Timolol Maleate, Azopt and Alphagan

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, these are effective eye medicines which should keep the IOP definitely in check.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Alphagan( brimonidine) is one such drug which is known to have neuro-protective effect apart from reducing IOP.

Customer:

my sight has been decreasing at a rapid rate of late

Customer:

is there any other medication I might try

Customer:

i also take I-Caps

Customer:

I am also type 2 diabetic

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the IOP( intraocular pressure) is well controlled with the above eye medicines( say within 20 mm of hg) , then there is no need to change the treatment. But if the IOP is not well controlled , then you can be put on latanoprost eye drops , 0.005% one drop once a day, along with Alaphagan and timolol. I-Caps has anti-oxidant properties which is beneficial. Being Diabetic increases the risk of diabetic retinopathy which in turn could be the cause for the rapid deterioration of youy vision of late

Customer:

ok thank you very much for your help.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you have any follow up questions?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thank you for this chat session.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer:

do you have any idea how long eye sight will lasj

Customer:

last