Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

MY MOTHER HAS BEEN TOLD SHE HAS HILLS AND VALLEYS AT BACK OF

MY MOTHER HAS BEEN TOLD SHE HAS HILLS AND VALLEYS AT BACK OF EYE AND THIS WILL EVENTUALY MAKE HER BLIND. THIS IS A CONCERN DUE TO FACT SHE IS BLIND IN L EYE FROM CHILDHOOD, WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

I will be happy to help with your question.

Dr. Rick :

Are you still online?

Customer:

YES I AM

Customer:

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY INFO ONLINE

Customer:

ARE YOU THERE

Dr. Rick :

yes...

Dr. Rick :

Do you know what they called her condition?

Customer:

ALL THE DR SAID WAS THERE WERE HILLS AND VALLEYS AT BACK OF EYE

Dr. Rick :

did they call it "wet macular degeneration"?

Dr. Rick :

Was it an ophthalmologist (MD) or an optometrist (OD, does eyeglasses etc)?

Dr. Rick :

The chat program on this system seems to be slow today....I'm sorry about that.

Customer:

I WAS NOT WITH HER AND MY MOTHER ONLY SAID THE HILLS AND VALLEYS BUT THE STRENGHTH IN GLASSES HAS CHANGED TWICE IN THE PAST 7 MONTHS SHE NOW USES A MAGNAFIFY GLASS TO READ AND HER EYE GOES BLURRY AND SHE CANT SEE

Dr. Rick :

I really have no idea what the doctor was talking about when he said she has hills and valley's that will cause her to go blind. A common condition that can lead to legal blindness in elderly folks is macular degeneration. If she has this it is important for her to see an experienced ophthalmologist ASAP. for a complete exam.

Customer:

SHE HAS AN APPT WITH OPHTHMALOLOGIST IN 9 DAYS

Dr. Rick :

Based on what this doctor told your mom, and his plan to "discuss her eye with a more experienced Dr.", I strongly suggest you dumpt him and call a local ophthalmologist (MD Eye doctor) and get in for a complete exam....the sooner the better. She only has one good eye. Call that ophthalmolgist back now and tell them it is, in my opinion, very important that she be seen right away. I could be wrong, and it is not an emergency but we have nothing to loose by getting agressive about having the ophthalmologist see her now.

Customer:

ARE WE DONE?

Customer:

THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Dr. Rick :

if you are ok with my answer, yes. If you could be so kind as to press the 'accept' button I would appreciate it...

Dr. Rick :

my pleasure