Eye

I have got an eye infection, most possibly related to a

Customer Question
Hello! I have got an eye...
Hello!
I have got an eye infection, most possibly related to a sexual transmitted infection I've got a long time ago. I know this might be a question for urologists, but as they haven't replied me, I hope it's alright I try out here. Sometime I get bloodshot eyes, usually it's been my right eye, but also... Read full answer
Hello!
I have got an eye infection, most possibly related to a sexual transmitted infection I've got a long time ago. I know this might be a question for urologists, but as they haven't replied me, I hope it's alright I try out here. Sometime I get bloodshot eyes, usually it's been my right eye, but also the left has been affected. I also feel like scratching but it just get worse and sometimes I often see unclearly if I try to scratch. It also feels like it stings sometimes. I was successfully treated with doxyline when it was a ureathral infection but after recurrence, it feels like it has affected deeper, for instance bladder and the prostate.. As I've also had unexplainable pain in my arms and legs, Reiter's Syndrome has been suggested. What do you think this could be?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
9/27/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Dr. Rick :

1. What type of STD did you have and was it treated completely?

Dr. Rick :

2. Is you vision affected when you are symptom free? How is your vision during the eye symptoms? What seems to be associated with the times you get bloodshot eyes?

Of the STDs chlamydia, herpes and syphilis are frequent causes of corneal (eye) disease. Tuberculosis, leprosy and Lyme disease are also rare causes of a type of corneal disease called interstitial keratitis.

If you do have interstitial keratitis from a STD you would need a workup to make sure your STD was fully treated or that you had not been infected again. The primary disease needs to be fully treated to help resolve the eye issues. It is very difficult to treat the eye disease in isolation and, as such, it is necessary to figure out the underlying STD and treat it fully, usually in conjunction with an internist or infectious disease specialist.

I suggest you make an appointment with an ophthalmologist for a complete eye examination and with your internal medicine physician for a physical examination and pertinent lab tests.

To sooth your eyes in the mean time you can use natural tears 4x/day and clean your eyelids with baby shampoo by scrubbing along your lashes with you index fingers in the shower. This will help to remove any irritants and get your own tear glands working better.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Hello and thank you for your reply!

1: There was unfortunately never ruled out what kind of STD it was, therefore just determined as NSU. I was tested for clamydia many times, and also urea/mycoplasma and probably all other basic STDs,
However the succesfull antibiotic cure of Doxyline and the white blodcell test confirmed it was a bacterial infection, but if it was treated completely is a very relevant question. I don't think it was, as I could still feel vague symptoms after ended cure. however the recurrence of the illness is way stronger than the first ones in terms of spread out symptoms in the whole body.

2, My vision is also affected when no visible symptoms. The blurry vision isn't necessarily at the same time as the bloodshot eyes, but when they're bloodshot, they feel even more irritated and itchy. But the itchiness is sort of stingy at the same time. What I found interesting is, during the Ciprofloxacin cure, my urinarty tract got better while the eye got worse and blodshot, as if the infection is "running around" in the body.

Please have more questions if needed. Thank you in advance

Looks like we are playing tag!

NSU, which is usually chlamydia 'cuz it is hard to grow in culture, can cause persistent eye issues. However, just because you have the infection in your penis doesn't mean you would get it in your eye.

I still believe your best bet would be to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to try to figure this out. It is possible, however, that your eye symptoms could be due to blepharitis and not a STD ocular infection at all. Without seeing you in person it is impossible to know, given your history.

For blepharitis I recommend warm compresses 3x/day and lid scrubs as I outlined above once daily in the shower.

When you were on the doxycycline I wonder if your ocular symptoms improved as this is the Rx used for severe blepharitis/acne rosacea.......just a thought.

I hope this has been helpful for you. If so, please press the accept button.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Yeah those replies surely got close!

Thank you for detailed response, I will follow up on your recommendations. However I'm quite sure that the eye symptoms are connected with urinary tracts symptoms as the period between the succesfull doxyline cure and the recurrence of the illness followed for the eyes as well as for the urinary tract, which I guess also answers to the question of my ocular sympoms improved during the cure. I suppose I must take this information with me also to another specialist.

Thanks again!

my pleasure to help. Best of luck.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I noticed yesterday my eyes were gunky and this morning it
I noticed yesterday my eyes were gunky and this morning it was even more noticeable. I'm concerned about infection, how long should I wait to see someone? or could it be just a cold. … read more
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
FCPS (R) General Surgery,
M.B.,B.S. FCPS
I am suffering from mucus fishing syndrome and it's
I am suffering from mucus fishing syndrome and it's affecting my life please is there any treatment or cure … read more
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
DO
Every morning I wake up with a bloodshot right eye. My left
Every morning I wake up with a bloodshot right eye. My left eye looks completely fine. Neither eye has any significant discharge. Do you know what could be causing this? The redness in my eye usually … read more
DrMikeMD
DrMikeMD
Stop searching for answers—
I know this is coming across as a strange question but I've
Hi--I know this is coming across as a strange question but I've been told by an opthamalogist that I have dry eye. I use the OTC drops and ointment he suggests. However, I work in an office that alway… read more
Dr. RK
Dr. RK
Physician,
Me again how is the call for? No, I'm taking an Antifugal
No, I'm taking an Antifugal called canxida. Somedays it's good some days it's worse, I've notice some swollen lymphs in the groin area and sometimes increases in size and causes a bit of discomfort. And I'm developing really bad dark circles around my eyes … read more
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Physician,
My eyes r always bloodshot and have been for a while. I
My eyes r always bloodshot and have been for a while. I think I have eye parasites or something like that … read more
Dr Stan
Dr Stan
DO
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I was in hospital today to get an eye injection. I got
i was in hospital today to get an eye injection. I got chloramphenicol eye ointment to use 4x each day Can I use it now seven hours or wait till tomorrow my eye is very sore red and some white dischar… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
Today my friend and I were having a simple Nerf Gun war and
Hi, today my friend and I were having a simple Nerf Gun war and I accidentally hit her in the eye. Her eye is VERY bloodshot and she says that she thinks there is something in her eye near the back. H… read more
Radiation Oncology Attending Director,
I have had an corenal abrasion this past December. It keeps
I have had an corenal abrasion this past December. It keeps recurring and this time it hurts so badly I can not shut my eye. I was given ciprofloxacin drops and ketorolac drops by the hospital dr but … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
For the last year, I have had a foreign body sensation or
For the last year, I have had a foreign body sensation or gravelly feeling mostly in my left eye. That feeling is there when I wake up until I go to bed. My eye doctor, at first told me to use eye lub… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
I felt pain on e outer corner of my right eye last night n
hi i felt pain on e outer corner of my right eye last night n immediately after that i saw bloodshot in e outer corner of e same eye. affected my vision a little n i noticed also a transparent membran… read more
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Board Certified MD,
I was awakened early this morning with a stabbing pain in my
I was awakened early this morning with a stabbing pain in my right eye. It was also watering profusely. It still hurts a few hours later but not at badly as earlier. It's noticably closed more than my… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have noticed, for a while now, that sometimes (at this
I have noticed, for a while now, that sometimes (at this point usually at least once a week) my left eye will develop this red ring around the iris that looks identical to pictures I have seen of irit… read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
I scratched my eye w a screwdriver months ago. Usually it's
I scratched my eye w a screwdriver months ago. Usually it's ok now but some mornings at random I wake up w the irritation like it was just scratched again. Is there any treatment to fix this, or is th… read more
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Board certified general ophthalmologist,
For the past 2 weeks I've had a severe sharp pain in my
For the past 2 weeks I've had a severe sharp pain in my right eye that starts soon after I awake and worsens through the morning. My right eye becomes very sensitivity to light. By afternoon the pain … read more
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Board Certified Ophthalmologist,
Last month my 4 yr old son woke up screaming in the middle
Last month my 4 yr old son woke up screaming in the middle of the night with complaints of his eye hurting, he also had sensitivity to light. The ER Dr said it was a scratch on his eye cause he also h… read more
Dr. James
Dr. James
I've been waking up with really bloodshot eyes for a couple
Hi, I've been waking up with really bloodshot eyes for a couple of months now. i put eye drops in and they get better for a couple of hours and then get redder as the day goes on. It's mainly really r… read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained
I get bloodshot in my left eye every 5 weeks for the past 6
I get bloodshot in my left eye every 5 weeks for the past 6 months. My blood pressure is perfect and I have discontinued taking the asprin I was on from Doctors advice. I dont normally have any other … read more
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
MS, Fellowship Trained