Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had shingles in the left eye area for approx 7 1/2

weeks. All the sores have...
I have had shingles in the left eye area for approx 7 1/2 weeks. All the sores have healed,now ,I am experiencing alot of nerve pain in that area. I've been to an eye doctor and am using Pred Forte eye drops for about a week. But, still no improvement. Tell me what I should do. Steve
9/16/2010
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with this question

Rick :

Hi are you there?

Customer:

yes

Rick :

Pain that continues after the shingles lesions has resolved is called postherpetic neuralgia. It can be difficult to treat. I see you are on Pred Forte 1% and have tried cold compresses and otc nsaids. Have you tried anything else.

Rick :

A recent study showed that using two drugs together, one being Gabapentin (Neurontin) and the other one being Nortriptyline (Pamelor) was much more effective in treating postherpetic neuralgia (phn) then using either drug alone.

Rick :

There are many other treatments available -- which only means that this condition is hard to treat......but the above one seems to work best based on recent studies.

Customer:

yes,Lyrica,for two days. It caused more intense pain in the eye and fullness with what I already had. So I had to stop taking it.

Rick :

so you were at the 75 mg dose of lyrica I would guess......Other options are anastetic gels/creams, systemic steroids (have a lot of side effects!), and capsaicin patches/creams.

Rick :

As you can see, there are many more treatments for you to try. Don't get too worried that one didn't work for you......

Customer:

I have an appt with the local eye specialist,Monday,hope to get something that works.

Rick :

It sounds like you already have an internal med MD that you trust. Stay with her and keep at it. If you havn't searched the web yet the Mayo clinic usually has good articles on conditions like this.

Rick :

You may be more likely to get the systemic medicines to treat your phn from a regular md. The cornea specialist will take care of the eye but will most likely feel most comfortable working with a regular MD, or if necessary, a pain specialist, to control the phn.

Customer:

I,also, have trouble sleeping. As soon as I lay down, the pain gets worse,have to sleep in a chair or recliner.

Rick :

You may benifit from some meds, in the short term, to help you sleep. Sounds like you need to get into an internist who is comfey treating PHN or a pain specialist.....along with f/u for your eye involvment.

Customer:

I was told not to use pm pills to help you sleep,correct?

Rick :

I know that the pain can be terrible. I've treated patients with it myself, but always in conjunction with internal medicine. I've never had a patient so bad that we called in a pain speciallist but there is no reason not to call them in.

Rick :

Depends on what kinda pills....some of them can be very addictive

Customer:

So, you think, I should see my local Doctor for some meds?

Rick :

for the treatment of your phn, I do think you should consult with an internal medicine MD and if they aren't comfortable treating phn you should consult a pain specialist. Keep going to the ophthalmologist for the eye.

Customer:

Thanks,for all your help!

Rick :

Your welcome. I wish you the best.

Rick :

Please press "accept" if you found this helpful so I may get credit. I'll be happy to anwer more questions to clarify any remaining issues. Thank you.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD