Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

eye exam..eye and that I have the beginning of AMD...optometrist

I just had a regular eye exam and was told that I have the beginnings of cataracts in each eye and that I have the beginning of AMD. The optometrist did not seem to think I should worry; but that I should be sure to wear sunglassses outside at all times, which of course I will do. I have purchased a good pair that give good coverage. I also have some pressure building up in the eye; she said it was high borderline. I have another app't in 6 mos. and we will keep an eye on everything that is happening. I am 62 and female so from what I have read, this is not so far off the ordinary. My question is this. What can I do to slow down the progression of what is happening in my eyes? I am mostly concerned about the AMD? Can it be reversed or at least stopped. She did not give me any advice when I asked other than the sunglasses and eat healthy. I already eat healthy.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

it sound like you have dry AMD.

Rick :

Are you still online?

It is important to check your central vision daily with an amsler grid, which I'm sure your optometrist gave you. A recent study found that certain vitamins can help slow the progression of dry ARMD. It was called the AREDS study. These vitamins are available over the counter in such brand names as ocuvite and ICaps as well as others. I recommend you start taking these vitamins as directed on the label.

I am concerned that you have been told that you also have "some pressure building up in your eyes" and your optometrist just wants to recheck things in 6 months.

I believe that macular degeneration and glaucoma should be evaluated and treated by an ophthalmologist. I would recommend that you make an appointment to see an ophthalmologist in the near future for a complete dilated exam, optic nerve evaluation and indepth macular evaluation.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow! I could not find you until today. No, my optometrist did not give me an amsler grid. I do not know what that is; but I will find out. Can I find the AREDS study online? I think I need to get a new optometrist; but I will certainly get in touch with an opthalmologist. I will check out the vitamins, as well. Thank you for your advice. The optometrist did tell me to wear sunglasses outside all the time even on dull days. Do you think that is important?
Also, do UV rays come in windows. My kitchen, dining area, etc. is all open and has huge big picture windows; lots of sunlight coming in. Is this a concern? Should I wear sunglasses in my house?

you can obtain an amsler grid online at:

http://www.garetina.com/amsler-chart.cfm

It is VERY important that you check you central vision with this daily. Follow the instructions online. I'm not sure if the AREDS study is available in layman's terms online but that's OK as most ophthalmologists have handouts available that explain it very well. You could also go to the American Academy of Ophthalmology's web site, http://www.aao.org/, and find information on dry ARMD and many other eye care topics.

No. I do not believe sunlight exposure/UV light is important in ARMD. There has been no scientific study to link the two together. In any event, the natural lens in you eye absorbs almost all the UVA/UVB before it ever gets to your retina. Enjoy your wonderful picture windows!

I agree that you need to find another person to help you with your eye care, but I disagree that such a person should be an optometrist. You really need to see an Ophthalmologist. In my opinion you need someone who has more formal training to care for your eyes..... "high borderline eye pressure", whatever she means by that, is not something you just recheck in 6 months.

I'm sorry you had difficulty finding me in the system again but I'm glad we finally were able to communicate again. I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Honest Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.