Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Glaucoma Specialist, Associate Professor FAU, Teaching Faculty Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
18763418

I fell asleep on my side and woke up wuth my fist mashing my

Hi - I fell asleep on my side and woke up wuth my fist mashing my eye! I have no idea how long I slept that way, I was very tired when I went to bed. My eye is kind of sore and a little irritated but no vision problems that I have noticed. Is this bad? Thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

Hi. I am Dr. Jewelewicz. Hope I can help you. You say your vision is fine?

Customer:

As far as I can tell

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

That's good. Do you have any flashing lights when you look around, almost like lightning? Or any unusual spots floating in front of your vision?

Customer:

no

Customer:

But it does sseem a little irritated

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

Good. Most likely you have some irritation on your cornea either from hand mashing on your eye, or from your eyelid not being entirely closed for some time due to your hand position. Either way, this will produce some surface irritation on your cornea (called punctate keratitis) which will resolve with time. Lubrication such as artifical tears are helpful, and you should continue to do this for the rest of the day. One good night's sleep and your eye should feel better in the morning. I would not be overly concerned. If you develop any change in vision, flashing lights, or floaters then you should be seen.

Customer:

WHAT would be the harm done, if any?

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

None - it's like a scrape on your arm. It heals back to normal. But a scrape on your cornea is alot more uncomfortable than your arm. If you develop real pain or blurred vision, and your eye gets red, then that little scrape may be infected. Short of those symptoms, I think it is safe to observe for 24 hours and see what it feels like tomorrow. If you develop those symptoms, I would have it looked at.

Customer:

But mashing you eye for several hours can only cause corneal abrasions?

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

mashing your eye can do all sorts of things. But your vision is fine, you have no flashes or floaters, some mild irritation, no pain - these are all important parts of your history than suggest you have nothing more serious going on. SPK (superficial punctate keratitis) can be uncomfortable - but is not serious, and barring some other condition such as chronic dry eye or other abnormality, should resolve quickly. Does that address your concern?

Customer:

IFit happened at4:30 this morning and I have none of those symtoms yet, am I past the danger zone?

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

Yes, I think so. Give it a day, use some lubricating drops today - not "get the red out" drops, just simple "artificial tears" and get a good night's sleep (without mashing your eye this time!). You should feel better by tomorrow. I think you will be absolutely fine. If you happen to develop the symptoms we talked about, THEN I would seek attention (I do not think you will develop any of these, but that's what I would look for). You should be just fine!

Customer:

ok im just anxious thaks a lot

Dr. Daniel Jewelewicz :

Please remember to hit accept if I have answered your question in an acceptable fashion. I hope you feel better!

Customer:

thanks!