How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Trattler, MD Your Own Question
William Trattler, MD
William Trattler, MD, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience:  Completed a Corneal Fellowship, and specializes in cataract, refractive & corneal surgeries
Type Your Eye Question Here...
William Trattler, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has MS -- started with optic neuritis loss of

Customer Question

My daughter has MS -- started with optic neuritis loss of sight in right eye -- has had a second relapse - second eye affected - left eye, sight is improving but only slightly in right eye Main problem is intense headaches over right eye every single day.Medication is not really helping. Is on Tysabri . will these headaches ever go away and is there a chance of her eyesight returning. it has been like this now for 6 months
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  William Trattler, MD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
William Trattler, MD :

Thank you so much for your question.

William Trattler, MD :

Multiple medications are available for MS, and the first step is to consult with a MS specialist. For example - there are many neurologists that treat MS - but there are also neurologists that specialize in MS. I would speak to your current doctor and see if there is a way that your daughter can be seen by one of the true experts in MS for a second opinion.

William Trattler, MD :

For example - the MS specialist would be the doctor most experienced to know if Tysabri is the best option for your daughter - since you have noted that the medication is not really helping.

William Trattler, MD :

Additionally - your daughter may need to go on a medication that specifically treats headaches. This is where the expert can determine whether the headaches are due specifically to MS, and as well - whether alternative medications that are designed for headaches rather than MS would be the best treatment.

William Trattler, MD :

In regards ***** ***** vision - this is always a challenging situation. MS causes inflammation of the optic nerve and damage to the optic nerve. In many cases, the vision improves over time. However - in some cases - the vision improves only to a point.

William Trattler, MD :

The way to monitor vision loss with MS is with visual field tests and visual acuity tests. There are specialists - called neuro-ophthalmologists - that specialize in caring for the eye problems of patients with MS, and they would work with the neurologists. One of my best friends who I grew up with has been battling MS for the past 10 years, and just had one of his eyes affected with vision loss. He finally agreed to take the time to see one of the top MS specialists in the US - and will be seeing this doctor in the next week. I expect that he will be placed on a new therapeutic regimen of medications to try to not only treat his current vision loss, but more importantly, prevent further relapses that can lead to further vision loss.

William Trattler, MD :

I hope this helps. Please feel free to email me with followup questions.

Customer :

My daughter has only been on Tysabri for two months and has been to see the neuro ophthalmologists just last week who said her left eye had good improvement but the problem is with the right eye which is the one that she has the pain over. Her consultant has given her Amitriptyline to help with the headaches but so far she only gets relief until lunchtime and some days gets no relief at all

William Trattler, MD and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  William Trattler, MD replied 6 years ago.
In regards ***** ***** there can certainly be additional options. You may want to ask your doctor about Neurontin, which is a medication for non-specific pain. This is out of my area of expertise - so you will need to first work with your neuro-ophthalmologist. The other options are to see a board-certified neurologist that specializes in MS, and secondly, a pain specialist. Pain specialists are medical doctors that specialize in helping patients with chronic pain.
I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask additional questions