How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask William Trattler, MD Your Own Question
William Trattler, MD
William Trattler, MD, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 6
Experience:  Completed a Corneal Fellowship, and specializes in cataract, refractive & corneal surgeries
Type Your Eye Question Here...
William Trattler, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I woke up 3 days ago with the part of my eye very red and

This answer was rated:

I woke up 3 days ago with the white part of my eye very red and inflammed. There is quite a bit of pain and pressure in this eye and in the center of the red area there is a blistery looking place which is yellowish in color. Any idea what is going on?
Chat Conversation Started
William Trattler, MD :

Thank you for your question. There are many causes for red eyes - and they often are serious. When the eye is red and there is associated pain and pressure - you should see an eye doctor. This could be an infection or a serious inflammation. There is no way to know for sure. Without an exam, the correct medication to use can not be determined. So I would urge you to see an eye doctor very soon.

William Trattler, MD :

I am happy to answer further questions regarding your eye.


Since this is the weekend can you suggest anything to help relieve some of the pain or pessure in my eye until Monday


also any idea why there is a blistery looking area never seen or heard of this

William Trattler, MD and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
First - you can try artificial tears - which are available over the counter in any drug store. As well - you may want to consider going to an urgent care center tomorrow- as they can often examine your eye and provide a prescription for topical antibiotics.
In regards ***** ***** blister - that is my concern. That could be an infection. It could be an inflamed pingueculum. Another possibility is a condition called a phlyctenule - although I would add to the information below from wikipedia that topical antibiotics are also important.
This is from wikepidia:
phlyctenule is medical term for a small whitish bump or blister found on the eye. It is to one or more discrete spots on the eye, has visible small blood vessels. It is a collection of white blood cells (primarily polymorphonuclear leukocytes and lymphocytes) in response to staphylococcus or other bacteria.
Medical treatment may consist of the use of artificial tears eye drops, vasoconstrictors (such as tetrahydrozoline), or corticosteroid eyedrops.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Again, thank you so much. I am going to take you up on the urgent care in the morning if it still feels like it does tonight.
Obviously - I was happy to provide general advice - but obviously my posting is based on the information that you have provided. I should mention that if a patient is a contact lens wearer or if a patient has changes or reduced vision (blurry or foggy, for example) - then this may be even more urgent and might require a visit to the ER. Obviously - there is no way that I can determine without an exam as to how serious your condition is - so please be aware that the ER is an option - and the decision to go tonight vs wait for the urgent care tomorrow would be based on how serious you thought your own condition is. Again - changes in vision and significant pain are serious signs and can reflect serious infections. I am sorry that I can not help you know the urgency of your condition.
Best of luck - and please feel free to post again what you find out from the doctor that you visit..