How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been scheduled for a endoscopic left

This answer was rated:

I have been scheduled for a endoscopic left dacryocystorhinostomy under a general anes. the dr. doing this is a ear nose and throat man. Is this necessary? could I possibly have my duct opened with maybe just stint in the tear duct?

Hello and thanks for your question.

I think you always have other options, but unfortunately for you, they are not all palatable ones. Option one is to wait a while and see if the constant tearing reverts back to the slight tearing you had before the infection. Option two is to have an evaluation by an ophthalmologist to determine if there are other causes for your tearing (there can be many causes for tearing, not just an obstructed tear duct). Option three is trying an over-the-counter nasal spray such as Afrin (if okay with your doctor) to see if that helps any obstruction you may be having (sometimes the obstruction is in the nasal passageways and not necessarily in the upper tear duct).

But I do think it is always appropriate to get a second opinion. If you really want to get the best, ***** ***** second opinion for this tearing problem, I would see an orbital/oculoplastics specialist. This is an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) who has sub-specialty training in doing exactly these kinds of surgeries and would be very facile in the workup, diagnosis and treatment of these disorders.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Dr. Dan B. and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to make sure I am spelling this correctly you told me to see a Orbital Oculoplastics specilist ??
that is correct. They are synonymous with each other. An orbital specialist is the same as an oculoplastics specialist--the two titles usually are said of the same person.