Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Eye started watering up last week and some floaters appeared

and some flashing lights when...
Eye started watering up last week and some floaters appeared and some flashing lights when I looked sideways. Went to my doctor who examined both my eyes and said they were normal. Now I seem to have just a watery eye with liquid in it and Optrex spray helps it for a while and then the watery eye returns. I went to the doctor (not an eye specialist) as I was worried about displaced retina but he reasurred me it was not.
Look forward to your views.
Pat
9/9/2010
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer:

Hi Dr James

Dr. James :

Do you still see the floaters and flashing lights?

Customer:

Some floaters, watery ones and occassionly flashing lights although they have diminished considerably

Dr. James :

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time it liquefies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you see the shadows of these things and see them as floaters. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

New floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a hole or tear. With your symptoms, it is recommended you have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems.

Dr. James :

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm, arc of light), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Customer:

Would it be just a blocked tear gland?

Dr. James :

The floaters and flashes should not cause tearing on the outside of your eyes. That is usually an indication of irritation. A block tear duct usually happens over a period of time and not as suddenly. The eye doctor should be able to check if your tear ducts are blocked.

Customer:

I have noticed over the past year that my eyes started to water and burn particulary in bright light and I had to wipe them a lot to stop the tears flowing.

Dr. James :

It may be dry eyes with reactive tearing when irritation. Continue the Optrex spray.

Customer:

Thanks Doctor but I will still go to an eye doctor to have them checked. Appreciate your help

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James