Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have red eyes for about two weeks. Both eyes have

Hello, I have red eyes for...
I have red eyes for about two weeks. Both eyes have bloodshot. I fell something like “itching” and “burning”. I used drops GoldenEye (Propamidine Isetionade 10ml) that didn’t help and Red Eyes Eye Drops from Optrex ltd. That second one helped little bit but after short time I feel itching and burning again. I’m not aware that I have an allergy.
Can you please advise me how I can treat that issue? I’m sure I need to visit a doctor. Can I see ophthalmologist or eye doctor directly? Or I need to visit GP first? I prefer to solve that issue ASAP, so I’m fine to go to private doctor, if this will be quick and effective. Can you recommend me any specialist? I work in London near Oxford Circus.
Thanks
Jozef
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2010
William Trattler, MD
William Trattler, MD, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
William Trattler, MD :

Great question. You report two symptoms: itching and burning. When both symptoms are present - the two most common causes are: 1. Allergic conjunctiivits 2. Blepharitis. Dry eye is a third but less common cause. The best medications to try are called combination antihistamines and Mast Cell Stabilizers. These typically require a prescription. In the US - the most popular medication is called Patanol (Olopatadine is the chemical name) - and an online search shows that this medication is available in the UK. Other similar medications include Zaditor (ketotifen) and Elestat (Epinastine). So - again - this is the first area try.

William Trattler, MD :

The second area to work on is something called blepharitis - which is essentially clogged oil glands in the eyelids. Blepharitis is very common - and is not an infection - rather - and infection. The treatment for blepharitis typically starts with warming of the eyelids with warm compresses for 10 minutes once of twice a day, plus lid scrubs (such as those made by Ocusoft)

William Trattler, MD :

Overall - these two conditions can be successfully treated with over the counter medications to start - but if the symptoms do not resolve - then stronger treatments may be required. Typically - I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist so that you can be specifically diagnosed.

Customer :

Hello, as I can't get these OTC, can you help me to find a doctor in London, UK?

William Trattler, MD :

Yes - I am looking that up now. I know a number of doctors in London - so I am using google maps to see how far they are from you.

Customer :

I'm doing as well :) I found London eye clinic, where I booked the appointment now.

William Trattler, MD :

London Vision Clinic

138 Harley Street

London W1G 7LA, United Kingdom

William Trattler, MD :

The doctor I know at the Center is Dan Reinstein - but it looks like they have a number of eye doctors at the center.

Customer :

OK, I used already http://www.londonoc.co.uk. I'll save your recommendations about treatments for my information.

Customer :

Thanks

William Trattler, MD :

I just checked London Eye clinic. Although i do not personally know the doctors - they look very qualified to examine you and help determine the next steps

William Trattler, MD :

Good luck - and feel free to follow up with additional questions

Customer :

yep and they have great prices as well :) but health is more important

Customer :

OK, thanks. I'll go tomorrow. If I'll have some additional questions, I'll do.

William Trattler, MD
William Trattler, MD
William Trattler, MD