Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Why do my eyes swell every time i sweat. and what can i do

Customer Question
about it. besides trying not...
why do my eyes swell every time i sweat. and what can i do about it. besides trying not sweat
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
9/8/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD replied 7 years ago
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

In a few weeks the glands (meibomian gland) should be back online and the issue with swelling should be resolved.

It was a pleasure to address your question. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD