How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Dan B. Your Own Question
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 3343
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. Dan B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 3 year old grand daughter has been having some pain, redness

Customer Question

My 3 year old grand daughter has been having some pain, redness above her left eye x 2 days.Today she has a fever of 101.6 tonight. She is c/o headache inthat area. Do I need to take her to the ER?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.


Yes, I do think you should take her to the ER. With pain and redness (and swelling, likely) above the eye and a fever and headache, she could very likely have what is called preseptal cellulitis, or worse yet, orbital cellulitis. These can be very aggressive infections in children and should be treated promptly. The emergency physicians and and/or ophthalmologist would then be able to start treating this problem.


Does that help address your concerns?



I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.


Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.


My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.