Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I just scratched my eye on a dried lilly leaf (rather thick)

I just scratched my eye on a dried lilly leaf (rather thick) about 10 min. ago. It's already starting to hurt a bit less and it feels similar to having a large eyelash caught in the eye, maybe a tiny bit 'more' than that. a bit achey. I can see fine.
I cannot see any mark using strong direct light, reading glasses and a magnifying mirror. It feels as if it is at 2:00 and perhaps over part of the iris. I wonder if I should use natural tears or another type of eyedrop ? It's 5:30 sat. eve of labor day weekend .... what to do. I have a long night ahead cleaning a house in preparation for a realtor's visit sunday.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Where did the leaf actually come in contact with your eye? The eyelid or eyeball?
How is your vision?

Dr. James :

Hello?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It appears you are offline.

From your question, it appears you scratched the surface of your eyeball. Fortunately, scratches on the surface of the eyeball heal very well. Depending on the size of the scratch, usually within 24 hours and sometimes a few hours.

With plant material, there is always concern for infection. With these types of injuries, it is recommended you use antibiotic drops to prevent infection. If you are unable to get to a doctor, then you can use any of the many available artificial tears available over the counter.

If you develop discharge, light sensitivity, or decreased vision, you should see a doctor promptly to check for an infection.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thankyou ! much appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
You are welcome.