Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I went to my hour dance class this morning and started

I went to my hour long dance class this morning and started having equilibrium problems,then I saw the people as double(when there wasn't but one person there.
What could be causing this problem. I have been having sinus problems this week. Thank you, Corinne
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

How long did the double vision last?
Do you still have any dizziness?

Customer:

I feel like my equilibrum is off....not terribly steady on my feet today and after the class was over and I saw people wALKING OUT, THERE WERE TWO IN MY SIGHT. mY VISION IS SEEEMINGLY COMING BACK TO NORMAL NOW. wHAT COULD THE CAUSE OF THIS HAPPENING BE?

Dr. James :

It appears you are experiencing equilibrium from inner ear problems. You have special sensors in your inner ears which helps you orient yourself in space. When you turn your head rapidly, it can cause these sensors to get disoriented.

If you have ever spun yourself on a chair, been on a merry-go-round, or seen those baseball fun games where a person turns himself round with his head on the end of the bat, to make himself dizzy, then it is a similar thing.

Dr. James :

Dancing can have rapid head turns which causes these equilibrium sensors to be disoriented.

Dr. James :

Your eyes are important in the coordination of the eyes. So, double vision can be expected when you are disoriented.

Dr. James :

If it resolves, then you can consult with your regular doctor in a timely manner for a followup exam. If the double vision worsens, you develop headache, nausea/vomiting, tingling or weakness, slurred speech, then you should seek medical attention immediately.

Dr. James :

Hello??