Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have had red eyes for 3 1/2 weeks. They did not hurt until

Customer Question
I have had red eyes...
I have had red eyes for 3 1/2 weeks. They did not hurt until today. The inside of my right eye is very sore. I have already went to the doctor and he prescribed me Vigamox and nothing works. Please help
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
9/4/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Is it one eye or both eyes?
Did you go to your primary care doctor or your eye doctor?
When was the last time you wore your glasses?
Do you have any change in vision?

Customer :

The redness is in both eyes. The primary care doctor. I have been wearing them for the duration of the symptoms. Not that I have noticed

Dr. James :

Do you have any sensitivity to light?

Customer :

No

Dr. James :

Thank you for the additional information. Contact lens use cause irritation, redness and dry eyes.

Dr. James :

Some of the contributors could be protein buildup, flare of ocular allergies, or recent change in contact lens solution.

Dr. James :

Other causes of redness could be infection from the contact lenses, however, this is usually in one eye and has pain and sensitivity to light.

Dr. James :

The vigamox is an antibiotic.

Dr. James :

I'd recommend you stay out of your contact lens with frequent use of lubricating eye drops such as systane or refresh.

Customer :

Right, but I have never had this problem before and I have worn contacts for 15 years. I did not recently change solutions or contacts and I have refrained from wearing my contacts since the redness started. Now my eye is actually hurting. I feel like this is indicative of an infection. Mayeb it could be fungal since it did not respond to the antibiotic?

Dr. James :

If it doesn't improve, I'd recommend you see an optometrist or ophthalmologist for an evaluation. Make sure that he flip your upper eyelids to look for inflammation which may be characteristic of allergies to contact lens protein buildup.

Dr. James :

Fungal infections of the eyes are quite rare. You're symptoms are not suggestive of that.

Dr. James :

I have seen many patients who have worn contact lenses for many years without problems, but can develop an intolerance to the contact lenses. I'd recommend you see your eye doctor and asks for him to check for a condition called GPC which is related to chronic contact lens use.

Customer :

okay thank you, ***** ***** it.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.?

Dr. James
Relist: Answer quality.
My expert was ok. But I feel like his answer was generic and he did not completely cover my symptoms.
Dr. James
Dr. James