Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

How successful is wrinkled retina surgery?

Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thank you for your question. Surgery to correct retinal wrinkling is usually fairly successful. Of course, it is major surgery so the decision if and/or when to operate becomes the issue. If the wrinkling of the retina is causing significant vision loss (20/40 or worse), then most people choose to get the surgery because their chances of improved vision after the surgery are high. Unfortunately there are a small subset of these people who don't have significant improvement in the vision. If your vision is 20/30 or better it may be wise to wait and see if this improves or worsens. That is because the chances of ending up 20/30 or 20/40 even after having the retinal wrinkling operated on are not miniscule. Overall, in the hands of a good surgeon and if there is significant pre-operative vision problems, it is a successful surgery. If there is not too much vision problem from it, or if the surgeon does not do a lot of these procedures, then it may be wise to wait vs. seeking a second opinion. Does that help address your concerns?

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Hello and thank you for your question. Surgery to correct retinal wrinkling is usually fairly successful. Of course, it is major surgery so the decision if and/or when to operate becomes the issue. If the wrinkling of the retina is causing significant vision loss (20/40 or worse), then most people choose to get the surgery because their chances of improved vision after the surgery are high. Unfortunately there are a small subset of these people who don't have significant improvement in the vision. If your vision is 20/30 or better it may be wise to wait and see if this improves or worsens. That is because the chances of ending up 20/30 or 20/40 even after having the retinal wrinkling operated on are not minuscule. Overall, in the hands of a good surgeon and if there is significant pre-operative vision problems, it is a successful surgery. If there is not too much vision problem from it, or if the surgeon does not do a lot of these procedures, then it may be wise to wait vs. seeking a second opinion. Does that help address your concerns?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My main question is that having 20/40 vision currently,will the wrinkled retina surgery be a significant improvement in my vision? what are the overall statistics or odds of myself coming out post surgery with improved vision? is it possible to have 20/20 vision restored after this surgery by a reputable eye surgeon? also I had catarac lens relacement surgery about two months and was wondering if that procedure may have possibly caused my wrinkled retina?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did you recieve my reply???

Sorry, I wasn't able to get to your reply until now.

You are kind of on the fence as far as vision goes when considering this surgery. In the hands of a reputable eye surgeon who does many of these procedures there is a decent chance that your vision will improve. Having had cataract surgery, your eye is set up for it's best possible vision after the surgery for the retinal wrinkling. It would be an awfully fast progression for the retinal wrinkling to be caused by the cataract surgery, but yes, intraocular surgery can lead to retinal wrinkling.

On the whole, approximately 90% of patients achieve two lines of vision increase after surgery, but I believe the likelihood of this two lines gain in vision is greater in patients who have worse vision before the surgery. There are no outcome tables that predict what the vision will be based on pre-operative visual acuity, however. Also, a visually significant recurrence runs about a 3% chance.