Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I had a DCR surgery performed in Feb. of 2010 and the

I had a DCR surgery performed in Feb. of 2010 and the procedure and recovery did not go as easily as originally hoped for. I have recovered from that, but now I have kind of a chronic sweet, yucky smell in that side of my nose. I do nasal rinses, saline sprays, tea tree oil, etc. I've mentioned it to an ENT and an Allergist and they had never heard of this, but if you do an internet search, there are a lot of people with a weird smell in nose. It is very discouraging. Any suggestions as to the cause or how to permanently make it go away.
Thanks,
Jessica

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptom of persisting inflammation with fistula in the nasal cavity. It is important to exclude the presence of abscess trapped inside the nasal tissue. Chronic nasal allergy problem can predispose you to persisting inflammation and abnormal odor sensation. To resolve this problem, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation with test including MRI and/or CT Scan of the nasal and orbital sinuses to exclude any periosteal abscess. In the meantime, I suggest that you request for your doctor to prescribe you antibiotics medication such as doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for 14 days.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.