Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Black in whites of the eye - blocking vision

black mark in whites of...
black mark in whites of the eye - blocking vision
8/7/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. Are you seeing floating spots in your vision when you look at a bright background (such as the sky, white wall/paper, or computer screen) or are these spots something you see on the white part of the eye when you look in the mirror?

Customer:

no more like a line in my field of vision

Customer:

hello!!!!

Dr. Dan B.

I hadn't heard back from you in the chat room so I switched the encounter over to a question and answer format because I need to leave my computer for a few minutes.

I'm sorry, the chat feature has some flaws in it and I didn't see your response. I will keep typing my response to your answer while you read this.

Does this line "float" in your vision, trailing behind the movements of your eye briefly before catching up?

the eye seems rippled and the this seems to be the obstruction in vision

and the mark and rippled condition are what i can in the mirror

does this mark and rippled condition manifest itself in everything that you see in the same part of your visual field? Are you only seeing this in your vision when you look in the mirror?

Yes, it's like the eye is swallowen and effects my vision mustly went looking downward. The rippling seems to be from the pupil to to the inside edge of one eye. No pain.

Okay, in that case:

1. Did this happen suddenly or gradually?

2. Is it in one or both eyes?

3. Do you wear glasses or contact lenses and if so, is this only present when you don't have them on?

4. Have you had any trauma or surgery to your eyes?

1. suddenly

2. one eye

3 is the eye i had lasic surgery in

1. How old are you?

2. Do you wear glasses or contact lenses and if so, is this only present when you don't have them on?

I'm 62 and don't wear contacts or glasses & the surgery was about 8-10 years ago.

Sorry for all the questions, but they're important to allow me to better understand what may be happening with you.

I think just one more:

How long has this been happening and does it change at all with blinking or time of day?

just started today. no apparent changes so far.

I suspect this is either a problem called vitreous floaters or a problem with the retina.

These floating spots or "black spots" are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye. This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquifies and becomes more fibrous bands and water.

Because of this liquification and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. These vitreous floaters do tend to happen more the older we get, but can happen at a young age.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that really can be done to definitively rid yourself of these floaters besides major surgery. Therefore, surgery to remove these floating spots is usually reserved for when they floaters are large or are significantly disrupting your vision and causing problems in your life. Thankfully, these floaters usually tend to get "better" in that either: 1) the brain learns how to ignore them, or 2) they break up somewhat, or 3) they drift out of your view.

This may also be due to a problem with the retina, such as macular degeneration or a wrinkling in the retina. Because of this, I would recommend going to see an ophthalmologist as soon as you are able to get a retinal examination to find out which of these things this may be. The incidence of macular degeneration goes up significantly after the age of 60.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today and I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.