Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Left eye is red and swollen ,it seems that all glanda have

Customer Question
been swollen arounfd the eye...
left eye is red and swollen ,it seems that all glanda have been swollen arounfd the eye
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
8/7/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Any change in vision?
What treatments are you one?
When is you next followup exam?

my wife has this prob since a week. she has visited the eye specilist and he had precribed the following medication.

she has no vision problem.

she wend for a follow up today, after 3 days as per the docorts advise. the last three dayds she has found no improvement in the status of the eye.

ACEMIZ

CEFPODOXIME

FLURIFOMA DROPS

MAXIGRAM DROPS

Can you describe to me what exactly is swollen?
Is it one eye or both eyes?
What other medical problems does she have?

The left Eye is swollen.it is red within the eye.

no other medical problems.

when we visited the docort for followup , he checked the eyes and got the eye cleaned with some solution and aske her to continue the same medication for the next 3 days , if there is no improvement he would go for an eye culture.

Thank you for the additional information.

It appears your wife is being treated for a conjunctivitis. Most cases of conjunctivitis are caused by a virus and generally resolves over 1-2 weeks. Some cases of conjunctivitis can be caused by bacteria. It appears your wife is already on an antibiotic to treat for that.

A culture is not commonly done but if the inflammation has not gotten better, then it is a good idea to get it done. It appears your wife is receiving the appropriate care. Cool compresses can help with any discomfort in addition to the eye drops she is already on.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

how long would it take to subsude . she has completed 3 days of this treatment and the doctor has asked her to continue for 3 days of the same medication.

Is it possible for some conjuctivise to infect only one eye.

It appears this has been going on for 1 week or so. Conjunctivitis may take long to resolve.

Yes, conjunctivitis can sometimes affect one eye only.
Dr. James

DR . we have contined as above. now the redness in the eye is subsided , but the swelling isnt. but she fells better as ther is no paain and less discomfort.

unfortunitly my son ( 1 Year old ) has got infected and it has occured on both eyes . but the doctor says it is not severe as my wife, we are giving him only eye drops as the doctor says that it is mild.

Thank you for the update. It appears to be a viral conjunctivitis -- or commonly called pink eye. It is important hand wash regularly to prevent spread to others in the household.

Best wishes to them both.

do you administer the same medication to the baby ,apart from the oral pills as precribed by the opthamologist .

any other precautions to take

They are likely the same. You should not share medicines however. Your son should use the medicines prescribed to him. Cool compresses can help with any discomfort.
Dr. James
Dr. James