Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My left eye constantly feels sore and has a low level ache.

It feels mainly behind and...
My left eye constantly feels sore and has a low level ache. It feels mainly behind and underneath the eyeball, almost as though its the muscles that move the eye that are a problem. Overall, its a bit like having been very tired after a lack of sleep combined with that feeling you get after you've been on the beach on a windy day...
8/6/2010
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

There are two possibilities for this- One it could be ocular migraine ( the headache may or maynot be there) and can present as isolated eye ache or may be associated with many varied symptoms like flashes of light / brief loss of vision for few minutes/nausea. It is not necessary that all these symptoms will be present in each person. It will need analgesics till pain subsides.

The other option could be a possibility of sinusitis due to the proximity of the eyes and sinuses, there maybe overlap of symptoms. The pain in the eye is more deep seeted and may be associated with a headache . It will need analgesics like tab.Acetaminophen 650 mg twice a day till pain subsides, steam inhalation helps to relieve any blocked sinuses.

If symptoms persist inspite of analgesics for 3-4 days and if any other eye symptoms develope such as reduced vision, redness, watering, photophobia in the left eye , then you may need a detailed eye check up by an ophthalmologist for any signs of inflammation in the eye.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
it has already been around for a week with no real change. I deo not have any of the other associated symptoms described. Need a medcic not an optician!, especially for this much money. I could of got that level of detail free!
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Thank you so much:

This is Dr. Stan; I will be giving you additional assistance.

It appears that you your experiencing the symptoms of underlying eye inflammation or soreness due to either imbalance between the focusing ability between the two eye muscles or another underlying eye problem. In addition, this can be related to tear film dysfunction with poor light focusing in the affected eye and hence strained eye with deep ache sensation. Conditions that your eye (ophthalmologist) should be excluded as possible contributing causes include Sjogren's syndrome, episcleritis, scleritis, scleroderma, thyroid dysfunction, sarcodosis or rheumatoid arthritis. The tests to assist in the process in Schmirer's test (eye test), and blood tests - ANA, ESR, RF, Scl-70, TFTs, and ANCA panels. In the meantime, a proper re-check for any uncorrected prescription refractive error should be done, and I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 4 times daily, and preservative free tear such Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily, at least 10 - 15 mins apart from the Zaditior eye drop. In addition, use over the counter Aleve 1-2 pills twice daily as needed.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist