Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Usually I sleep on my left side but last night I slept on my

Hello, Usually I sleep on my...
Usually I sleep on my left side but last night I slept on my right.
I got up this morning and my right eye vision was a bit blurry.
The eye had a weird feeling, kinna puffy and watering.
I have bad sinus problems so I went to a doctor who gave me eye drops (Pataday).
As soon as I put a drop in my eye within a half hour my vision felt normal.
I use reading glasses as well as magnified glasses for working on my hobbys.
I got home from work today and I covered my right eye while wearing both pair of glasses and could see fine with the left eye. When I covered my left eye my right eye showed double vision. If I squinted my right eye the double vision goes away.
Now if I hold up something with larger lettering at arms length, theres no double vision in my right eye.
I wear prescription eyeglasses but its been quite a few years since I have gotton new ones.
Thanks,
Ernie
8/3/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I will be typing a response to your question as you read this statement.

Doctor DanB :

It does sound as though you may have an allergic reaction in the right eye, which can cause this puffiness and swelling, and which makes sense that Pataday helps this. I would use this for several days just to make sure you've blunted the allergic response in that eye. As far as your blurry vision, it is not uncommon to notice that one eye doesn't see well right after you've had an incident with that eye because we naturally start to close one eye and then the other when we have problems with our eyes. Having glasses that are several years old, it is likely that the prescription has changed in the right eye; you may have astigmatism now that you didn't, or it may be more or less than it was. Either way, a change in the glasses prescription in that eye causing what is essentially an uncorrected refractive error can cause this double vision in one eye that goes away when you squint. I would recommend just getting an updated pair of glasses, but I would wait for the inflammation/swelling in the right eye to go away before doing so. Does that help answer your questions?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer:

Customer:

Thanks for you're reply, I have been noticeing for quite a long while now that my current glasses prescription isn't doing near as good.

Customer:

I will go to get new glasses in a few days, let the Pantaday do its job first.

Customer:

And yes, you deserve good positive feedback !

Doctor DanB :

I think you will be happy once you get this inflammation under control and get a new pair of glasses. But if things don't get better let me know and we'll see what else we need to do. Good luck to you.

Customer:

Again THANKS !

Customer:

Ernie

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.