Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What can I do for a scratched or cut eyeball. The eye is red

What can I do for...
What can I do for a scratched or cut eyeball. The eye is red and cannot open eye. Had contacts in and took contacts out now eye is red and hurting very bad. Nose starting running
8/3/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor DanB :

Hello and thanks for your question. I would start using artificial tears frequently, but I would also get some lubricating ophthalmic ointment over the counter and put a 1/4" strip of that in the eye. That will help coat the scratch and keep it from hurting as much. Sometimes problems with contact lenses can amount to more than just a scratch. If you know that you scratched it and it was fine before and directly after had the problem, then you can likely assume it is just a scratch. If you are assuming it's a scratch, but don't know for sure, you should consider going to see the ophthalmologist, especially if after 24-36 hours you're not feeling significantly better. There can be inflammation or even an infection going on related to the contact lens wear that can cause some pretty significant symptoms and permanent problems if left to continue. This probably goes without saying, but just in case, you should also stay out of your contact lenses until the problem is entirely resolved. Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B.