Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

3 days ago I came down with a sinus infection. This morning

Customer Question

3 days ago I came down with a sinus infection. This morning I woke up and my eye was swollen and crusted shut. It came open easily, and there is not a lot of discharge. My eye is not pink. It is swollen still, this evening, and I have dark circles now under both eyes. My lefty eyelid is swollen and tender, but is not weeping. There is some crusting. How would you treat this?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Are you taking any antibiotics?
Do you have any decrease in vision?
Is it one or both eyes?

Customer:

In my left eye, although my right looks like it might be beginning to swell. I started Keflex, but since I have a sinus infection, mild, don't think it may be broad spectrum enough.

Customer:

250 mg 4x daily

Customer:

vision is still ok

Customer:

but slightly blurry in my right eye

Customer:

Are you there?

Dr. James :

Customer:

hi

Dr. James :

I was temporarily disconnected.

Customer:

hi

Customer:

no problem

Dr. James :

The sinuses are in intimate contact with the mucosal lining of the eye as well -- the conjunctiva. I appears you may have a spread of the infection to include a conjunctivitis. Artificial tears and cool compresses will help with any of the symptoms you may have.

If the mucous discharge worsens, you may have to broaden your antibiotic coverage such as with Augmentin. An addition of an antibiotic eye drop may help as well.

Customer:

cool compress -- is that right?

Dr. James :

Yes, for symptomatic relief.

Customer:

another doctor said warm -- i'm confused?

Dr. James :

Sometimes you can have irritation and mucous buildup from blepharitis. Part of blepharitis are oil glands in the eye eyelids which are plugged up. Warm compresses in that instance helps to soften the oils and open the oil glands.

In acute conjunctivitis, cool compresses can help with the burning sensation.

Dr. James :

I am happy to answer any other questions you may have. Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.