Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I am considering Lasik but I have a flare up of Herpes

I am considering Lasik but I have a flare up of Herpes keratitis. Does this rule me out for Lasik Surgery>
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, having a history of herpetic keratitis and knowing the predisposition for herpetic keratitis to recur especially with stressors such as surgery, LASIK would be a risky proposition.

Does this address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have only had one flare up my entire life. Would it be possible to treat for the potential occurance of the herpes during the Lasik process?

While it would be possible, the likelihood that you would have significant problems despite a prophylactic herpes treatment would be significant. Unfortunately, all it takes is one severe episode to cause scarring in the cornea which can limit the vision.