Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 57years old. I have been seeing hair like floaters with

Customer Question
dark dots in my...
I am 57years old. I have been seeing hair like floaters with dark dots in my left eye for the last 4 to 5 days. It seems to be worst in the day light. I also experience last night a couple of bright light flashing for a second or so. thanks Kate
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
7/6/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer;

It is likely that you are experiencing the floaters and flashes symptoms of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD) which often occur with aging vitreous (thick clear gel) inside the eye. In general, the aging vitreous tends to collapse and/or form pockets of liquefied vitreous, which causes the edge of the vitreous to become loosely attached or detached from the back of the eye (retina). These pockets of melted vitreous and/or loosely attached/PVD stimulates the retina especially with movement to cause occasional floating and/or flashing sensations. This is often not harmful. It is not retinal detachment, and there is no damage to the retina. The management of PVD is with routine complete dilated eye examination by the retinal eye doctor to exclude any occurrence or associated retinal tear or hole due the the traction of the PVD on the retina from which there could be a future site of retinal detachment. If the symptoms of floaters and/or flashes become severe to obstruct your vision, the retina eye surgery can surgically remove the melted vitreous to resolve the symptoms, but this is uncommon.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist