Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

My husband has been having eye irritation for the past

My husband has been having eye irritation for the past couple of weeks. Its mostly when he wakes up and its red and light sensitive. We looked up bacterial infections and he doesnt have the gritty feeling. What do you think it is and should I take him to the doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Eye irritation with redness and light sensitive especially after waking up is likely related to tear film dysfunction due to possible exposure with cornea dryness, and/or eyelid irritation with inflammation/infection. To resolve this, I suggest that you use over the counter Zaditor eye drop 2-4 times daily as needed for any eye discomfort or pain, preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop 4 times daily at least 5-10 mins apart from the zaditor drop, and use Genteal gel or Lacri-lube gel at bedtime to reduce exposure of eye at night. I suggest that you hold-off BMP drop for now. If after 1 week there is no significant resolution, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation under the Silt-lampSchmirer's test, and possible stronger prescription eye drop.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.