Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I went to an opthamologist two - three weeks ago; just found

Customer Question
out this week that I...
I went to an opthamologist two - three weeks ago; just found out this week that I may have occular hypertension and that he wants to see me in 4-6 months. Do I keep the appointment; or cancel it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
7/3/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that you keep the appointment. It is necessary that the eye pressures are rechecked to confirm that persistent increase in the eye pressure. If the eye pressure remain elevated, further testing need to be performed including Pachymetry (corneal thickness), Humphrey visual field, OCT, and gonioscopy to check for the adequate opening of the drainage channel in the eye. If after these testings, you are determined to be a glaucoma suspect - meaning the you have high eye pressure and/or other factors, it may become necessary to monitor your eye and/or give you a trial of eye pressure drop to decrease the eye pressure, as high eye pressure can cause progressive damage to the optic nerve (which helps you see). Any damaged can not be reversed. So, prevention by keeping the eye pressure within average (less the 21) becomes the goal.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist