Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I was poked in the eye by my one year old son this afternoon

Customer Question

Hi, I was poked in the eye by my one year old son this afternoon (5 hours ago). He was very close to me and he managed to scratch my eye with his nails before my lid shut. It looks like the outer layer has been scratch (looks like a small area of the outer layer has been scratched off). My eye is very blood shot and hurts a lot (the pain comes in waves). Its also watering a lot too. My vision seems to be ok but Im worried about infections. What shall I do?
Thanks
Susanne
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you have conjunctival laceration and/or cornea abrasion with blood due the injury. It may be necessary for you to follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any serious laceration. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop every 4 hours for 1 day while awake, then 4 times daily thereafter and the Genteal gel or lacri-lube at bedtime for about 1-2 weeks. If this fails to resolve, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks...more questions...
How big is the risk of infection? Can the drops help in any way? What can I do to reduce the risk of infection?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The best option to reduce the risk of infection is a follow-up with the eye doctor for eye drop prescription such as Zylet eye drop 4 times daily for 7 days. This also contain medication to reduce inflammation. However, it is may not be needed at this time, unless it fails to resolve or worsen at any time. In general, the regular use of the tear drop and avoid use of eyelid/lashes make-up which can cause contamination will reduce the risk of infection.

Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much:

The best option to reduce the risk of infection is a follow-up with the eye doctor for eye drop prescription such as Zylet eye drop 4 times daily for 7 days. This also contain medication to reduce inflammation. However, it is may not be needed at this time, unless it fails to resolve or worsen at any time. In which case I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation. Also, I suggest that you avoid the use of eyelid/lashes make-up while this is healing to prevent possible contamination and reduce the risk of infection.

In addition, I suggest that you avoid the use of aspirin/Advil/Ibuprofen/Motrin/Aleve which can affect platelet function and worsen bleeding. If you feel irritation and sore eyes, you can use over the counter zaditor eye drop 2- 4 times daily as needed.