Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Eye floater lasts for approx 40 secs first thing in the

Customer Question
mroning....
eye floater lasts for approx 40 secs first thing in the mroning.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
7/1/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer

Floaters are most often due to posterior vitreous detachment ( PVD ) and it is due to aging .It is as such a harmless condition and does not require any treatment . Rarely in the event of it causing traction on the retina,it may result in retinal tears which occasionally progress to a retinal detachment. This is characterised by a sudden decrease in vision or rather like a curtain falling in the line of vision, and should be reported to an ophthalmologist immediately.

As of now you do not have any visual complaint , so very unlikely that you have any problem in the retina. You need to report to an ophthalmologist immediately only in case you have acute visual complaints explained above. For precautionary measures you can get a retina test done at your convenience later.

Only when the floaters are large and obstruct vision or hamper daily routine activities, surgical removal of vitreous called vitrectomy , but is done rarely as the surgery itself can cause more complications.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist