Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I recently had cataract surgery. The lens makes vision

Customer Question
I recently had cataract surgery...
I recently had cataract surgery. The lens makes vision sharper but my area of vision has decreased and I see a dark area that also moves when I look side to side. I also see a light reflection from the lens. I have tried to adjust to this but it is too obvious to ignore.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
6/29/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

hello there

it sounds like you may have 2 issues going on. Can you tell me a bit more about the dark area tha moves when you look side to side. When did it come on ? any flashing lights ? do they seem like floaters if you are familiar with that term ?

Second, what type of implant was used, multifocal (bifocal) or distance correction lens ? What did the ophthalmologist say about these ?

The dark area covers the corner of my right eye. When I look to the left it moves to the left but it is in my field of vision all the time. I noticed this almost immediately after the cataract surgery. The surgery was 3 weeks ago today. As I mentioned I do get a lot of reflection which I can tell is coming off the implant. When a light hits my eye a certain way I do get like a flash of light like the sun shinning off a rain drop. I do not know what kind of lens was implanted for the cataract.

Hello there

if you dont know what type of implant was placed, it must have been the standard distance correction only lens, which is a wonderful lens and has less risk for glare and haloes. If you are seeing the dark spot off to the side, this is called lens edge dysmorphopsia, basically blurred and dark vision due to light crossing the edge of the lens. If there is central glare and starburst effects in low light conditions, you may have a posterior capsule opacity, a scar forming on the membrane that is holding the implant in place. What you need to do is get in with the surgeon and let him look at the implant and check for posterior capsule opacity (secondary cataract) and check to make sure lens is centered. The posterior capsule opacity can be lasered clean quickly. If the lens is centered, the dark vision off to the side may simply be something you may have to live with, obviously we need to make sure there is no other retinal problem that can be accounting for that as well, Best wishes, Dr. Stevens

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist