Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

I just got a burning charcoal particle in my eye. I have…

Customer Question
I just got a burning...
I just got a burning charcoal particle in my eye. I have contacts. I took the contact out and it is not damaged. Do I need to go to the emergency room? Can I wait and see what happens. I do not know how bad it is. It does not hurt too bad.

The charcoal appears to have landed/burned the edge of teh eye lid between the eye and the eye lash. I am not sure if the eye itself is burned.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
6/28/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

I suggest that you irrigate your eye thoroughly with clean tap or distilled water, then use over the counter preservative free tear drop such as Refresh or Genteal tear drop every 2 hours while awake for 24 hours, and then 4 times daily for 1 week. Avoid wearing the contacts for until after evaluation by your eye doctor. However, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor as soon as possible if there is a decrease vision. If there not change in vision or eye pain, you can follow-up with your doctor within few days to exclude the presence any foreign particle and/or injury.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.