Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

My 8 yr. old had blurred vision and double vision last fall.

A pediatric Opthamologist in Austin...
My 8 yr. old had blurred vision and double vision last fall. A pediatric Opthamologist in Austin, TX (1 1/2 hours away) was mean and physically abusive to my child and said (without an exam) there was nothing wrong with her and that she was making it up!! My child is an avid reader and was in tears thinking she would not be able to ever read again! That was not "making it up".
Then she complained again in early May of this year about having blurred and double vision - this time with "flashing lights" and she was mad because she was in the middle of a good book and was not able to finish it! Since the lights can be a sign of detached retina, we went to a LOCAL opthamologist who was a repeat of the one we saw last year! Where do they get off treating kids like that? The kid is already scared, and they DON'T need that in addition! He also claimed she was making it up! I know better.
It seems to come and go, along with headaches and dizziness, yet when looking at the Eye Chart, she can read even the tiniest line of print!! I accidentally ran across something on the internet about Vertigo - and HMMMMM . . symptoms are blurred vision, double vision, dizziness, comes and goes, . . . . . could it be vertigo??? Got any ideas???
6/26/2010
Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Hello and thank you for your question. Please allow me to ask you a few questions so I can better understand the problem.

Can I assume that she's only had a handful of these blurry/double vision episodes since last year?

Can you tell me more about the episodes? Does the blurry vision always happen along with the double vision? If so, is there a reliable sequence (like blurry vision / double vision, then lights, then headache?

Are there times when she's getting blurry vision without double vision?

Is she getting headaches without having blurry vision or double vision?

Does your child have any other medical problems? Obesity? Diabetes? Arthritis?

Does she wear glasses?

Sorry, I know these are a lot of questions, but these are necessary and depending on your answers, I may need to ask a few more, but I am committed to understanding the problem and helping you find a solution,

BJ is not obese - Age 8 1/2 yrs. Ht. 50" and 52 lbs. Wears size 3-4T shorts and 7-8 shirt - not skinny, but slim/just right.

Does not wear glasses, has "Eagle Eyes".

Was drug addicted at birth; birth parents were on drugs, and had mental problems; birth mom epileptic. Born 2 1/2 mos. early.

Has Von Willabrands disease; and appears to have CVS - of which I am certain, but until I can get a doc to eliminate anything else, can't say 100%. However, a doc on this site felt it IS CVS. They all say it is a virus - but a virus does not appear on the First Thursday of the month at 11am and proceed w/rapidfire vomiting continously and then suddenly stop between 2-4am on Sun. morning, and repeat this EXACT cycle for 4 months in a row, now does it??? No medication will stop the vomiting.

She had severe Sleep Apnea and enlarged tonsils w/T&A at age 3; nearly bled to death - lost 1 pint of blood.

She is ADHD, Bipolar, and ODD - carries a LOT of baggage for a little girl. Her eyes are VERY sensitive to light, she is very sensitive to sound and smells. Her esophagus is scarred and shrinking from all the vomiting. She is on: Risperidone .5mg tab x 1 at night, Clonidine HCL.2mg tab x 1-2 at night, and Focalin 10mg. x 1 at 8am and at noon.

She is 2-3 grades ahead of her peers, an amazing kid, wise beyond her years. Headaches can be w or w/o blurred vision. While the blurred and double are within the same "episode", first comes the blurred vision and then the double vision, then the lights. The CVS does not appear to be connected. The vision episodes come and go - with 4 separate episodes beginning in Nov. 2009. She is in the beginning stages of puberty.

She eats very little at a time - a few bites here and there. Not a meat eater - loves veggies and fruits, plain and simple food - nothing MIXED, no cooked vegetables. We do not buy junk food or soda or candy. She gets 10-12 hours of sleep, never catches anything not even colds. She is alert and aware of everything around her, with a lightening quick memory.

I know you need to know as much as possible. Thanks for asking!!

When she gets the headaches, does she get particularly sensitive to sounds/lights/smells, moreso than she already is?

Do you know how long the blurry vision/double vision and light show goes on prior to the headache, and for how long total?

Has she ever tried to cover one eye to see if the double vision goes away? If so, does the double vision go away no matter what eye she covers or is it there regardless of covering either eye?

How would she describe the lights she experiences with these episodes? Flashing, arcing, or do they shimmer and march across her vision?

Does she get car sick?

1) more sensitive to lights, the others, I do not know.

2)About 1 hr. total, and if she has a headache, it may during the double vision or after.

3)We have not tried covering an eye, will do that if it happens again. Thanks!

4)She said the lights FLASH from the letters on the page she is reading.

5)She is not ever carsick, and we travel a lot. I also homeschool her.

From everything you're telling me, it sounds as though her symptoms are consistent with a migraine headache phenomenon.

Migraines can occur either with or without headaches. In a classic migraine, visual symptoms including blurry vision, spots missing in the vision, shimmering or pulsing lights. These usually are accompanied by sensitivity to lights, noises, and sometimes smells, nausea and/or irritability. All of these usually precede a headache, if a headache is part of the patient's particular migraine phenomenon.

Being carsick is often an association with migraine sufferers (but just an assocition, not causal).

There are medicines that can be taken on a regular basis to help prevent the migraines and there are medicines which can be taken upon the first signs of a migraine to abort the process (abortive therapy). Her primary care doctor may be familiar enough with them to prescribe them, but I suspect that she would likely need to see a pediatric neurologist who can do an entire workup regarding this phenomenon and then direct the care for the migraines.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Dr. Dan B.
Thank you, ***** ***** been very helpful.

Good luck to you and your daughter.